Computer date, time and year change each time I boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rfcjr

Hello:

Each time I turn on my computer and as it is boots up it will delay for a time with a line that reads something like ...Automatic IDE Configuration.... and then a message that my date and time are incorrect. The date goes back to Nov. 2003. Once I correct the date, time and year things seem to perform ok. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'd agree with fatbob, the CMOS battery keeps the system time when you shut down the PC. The reason it is fine when you correct everything is that it isn't using the CMOS battery to keep the information correct, it's using mains power but once you shut down it doesn't have the power to store it in the CMOS. The date it goes back to is likely the date the motherboard was manufactured (I think).

rfcjr

Hello:

Thanks for the responses. That is what I first thought; but,I have not replaced the battery yet. The computer is 4 years old. It is interesting that I have several other much much older computers that have never had the battery replaced. Battery is the first place i will start. Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online