Computer dead after boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

alexanderl

Hello. I decided to do a clean install of windows 7 on my computer this morning. Since i have no Disc drive, i did it via a flash drive.

The install completed and i left my computer while i was at work. When i left it was at the phase of "starting computer for the first time". Now that i have returned from work, its completely dead. It has no output at all, it can just turn on. Everything has lights in it like its supposed to, but nothing comes out. My keyboard and mouse doesnt work, and the display shows nothing.

What can possibly have happened?

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Please post the make and model of the computer and if it's a desktop or laptop.

After first switching the computer on is there nothing on screen at all, not even a maker's splash screen and/or some text ?

Also please tell us how you made the Usb stick to install 7, a link to the method you used would be good.

alexanderl

Its a desktop

Asrock z68 motherboard
I5-2500k
geforce gtx 970
24 gigs corsair ram

I got it working by removing some of the ram blocks - I believe the fresh install of windows deleted a bios update, so my ram blocks were no longer compatible since i run 4 blocks - 2 different sets.

Ill keep you updated if the problem is not fixed when i install a new bios update.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
If it worked ok with the full 24GB before then updating the Bios should not be necessary.

EDIT : re-installing Windows should not affect the Bios settings

alexanderl

You were right. I have no idea at all why it acted the way it did. But removing the ram blocks made it work. I just put them back in and its running like it should? What could have caused all of this?

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I've heard of that before, it will work with less ram and then is ok when the rest of the ram is put back in. I don't know why it happens, I suspect it's something to do with the Bios but that's just a guess. Maybe someone else will post the solution.

Glad to hear it's working now though. See if it's ok for a few hours/days and if it is please mark this Solved, if not let us know here.

Jeffery, you should start your own thread in the Hardware forum. Adding your problem to other people's threads will result in a lot of helpful people missing it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online