1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mawer IV, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

So then everyone, listen up (please)

My computer that I built, eventually, was working 2 weeks ago. Now it seems pretty much dead.
    Before I go into detail I think you should read this:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/587888-atrix-psu-problem.html?highlight=atrix+psu

Now that should tell you about my problem sort-of. But then about 2 weeks ago there was a lightning storm and my power went out.
    After the power came back on I tried what I normally do and waited for about 24 hours (explained in the link) but it didn't work and hasn't scince.

All the power cords are in fine but it dosn't switch on, I think that it's the cheap PSU's fault but I'm not sure.

I'm stumped Please help!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Being that there was a storm the first thing I'd suspect is the power supply. And if you swap in a known good power supply and it works, then be sure to get a quality brand this time.

3. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

Yeah, it's just that I'm on quite a tight budget and so if there's anything else I could try I want to do that first, just to make sure.
    Also, I've tested most other things by plugging everything into the PSU except the ATX 2.2 cord and triggerd the power on switch in the PSU by shorting the two bits with pliers everything came on except of course the Mobo because it wasn't plugged in.

So that means that although the PSU is cheap it does still work.

So the only other things it could be are:
    Mobo
    CPU
    RAM
    PSU

I can't test these things I agree that it's probbably the PSU, but any other ideas?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have another computer you could take a power supply from?

5. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

Yes but it's only something like 250W,
    And the first PSU I bought for my problem system (a HIPER) didn't work and I that was 530W and I so I had to buy the Atrix PSU which at first worked so I thought that it was probably that the Hiper PSU didn't give enough Wattage so I Don't think the 250W will work either.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I assume it doesn't have all the right connections for the motherboard anyway?

7. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

Oh yeah I forgot about that, it has the original ATX cord not with the extra 4 so it wouldn't work anyway I guess.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be the motherboard. When you try to turn it on does it do anything, any beeps?

I wasn't so concerned that it was cheap at this point as much so that it had been hit by lightning or a surge, and even though it powers on by your test it may still be damaged.

9. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

No beeps at all nothing at all. But the power light on my case flashes every second and when it flashes the PSU clicks slightly

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So I'd be back to the power supply then.

11. Mawer IV

Mawer IV Thread Starter

OK I'll buy a new PSU.

Thanks for your help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice