Computer details

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xlanou

Have decided to get rid of my computer which runs Windows Vista so as to give all my spare time to learning all i can about Linux 'Mandriva Spring'. So does anyone know how to get rid of the computer owner details etc please. Thanks

What detalis and where? Erasing the hard drive should remove all that unless you are talking about names and companies that may be set in BIOS setup.

Details of the make, model, and configuration of your machine would be useful, too.

If you just want to change owner do this:
Run, regedit, HKey Local machine,Software, Windows NT, Current Version...then find owner and right click to modify (change).

xlanou

Hiya folks!
I have an Emachines computer running Windows Vista Basic.
Just went along to Start => Control Panel clicked on System Maintenance and then clicked on System and from there i was able to change the name and description of the computer. Don't really like going into the registry in case i do a mistake. Isn't there another way to change the name of the owner?

xlanou

Just tried to follow directions as suggested by Rich-M but only got as far as Software because there was no Windows NT listed?

IT should be this:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version

Rich-M was missing the Microsoft part

Yes I missed the Microsoft... and you cannot change the owner anywhere else.

xlanou

Have followed the path: HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version but can't find Owner listed to modify?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why not just restore to the factory configuration? Since that's a commercial machine, there is some method to restore, either restore CD/DVD or a restore partition. This will insure that all of that personal data is gone.

JohnWill said:
Why not just restore to the factory configuration? Since that's a commercial machine, there is some method to restore, either restore CD/DVD or a restore partition. This will insure that all of that personal data is gone.
Yes, by all means, just reinstall Windows. Even if you get all the personal information out of Windows, there is still all the registrations for your apps that may contain names, email addresses, and more.

With a decent recovery program, people can find all kinds of information. Clean the drive with Darik's Boot and Nuke and use your recovery media.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online