1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer died / power supply replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yuvalo1, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yuvalo1

yuvalo1 Thread Starter

2 days ago the power outlet that my computer was placed into was kinda half exploding. And the "lightning protector" that was attached into it died. I was trying to connect the computer to a different power outlet , and the computer won't turn on.
    Not sure what happend... So Idk what to do... Should I buy a new power supply and see if everything is ok? Or just give the computer to some lab and have em to "make it work" ??

2. yuvalo1

yuvalo1 Thread Starter

Anyone? No sense? It's not like a genius question. Just kind of a "your opinion"

3. jamesx121

jamesx121

sounds like your wall electrical outlet was arcing.
    that can cause your house to burn down---number one cause of electrical fires in houses.
    if U have already done this then my bad---
    call a electrician to your house to inspect your electrical system of your house---
    U didn't say if U had lighting / thunder storms that day---and if U did then the electrician needs to
    repair the ground fault to your house.
    but arcing is not normal.
    I would say your computer is now slag since the surge protector also melted.
    U can take the computer to a computer repair shop & have them check it out, maybe the surge protector took
    the most of the damage /// maybe just replace a couple of capacitors .
    there is nothing we can do here for U.
    we can't physically touch your computer to see what (if anything) inside your computer melted.
    a local computer repair shop is needed.
    James
    just keep your hopes up that the surge protector took the majority of the damage-----

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It somewhat depends on the system. A 7yr old big box [ie dell, hp, etc] system would not be worth putting any money into fixing. A 1yr old high end gaming system would be worth putting money into fixing.

At this point, no one [other than you] has any idea what type of system we are attempting to troubleshoot. Post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact cpu, exact ram, etc, etc. If this is a big box system, post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice