1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer died suddenly and strangely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by riotgrrl, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

Last Monday I turned my PC on and after 45 minutes it slowly crashed to a complete freeze up, so I manually retsarted, and it happened again 45 minutes later. Since then, whenever I turn it on, it powers up but does absolutely nothing. There's no beep, nothing appears on screen but it stays powered up. So I thought it's probably the graphics card, so I bought a new one only to find it's not that. The PSU is fairly new, so I don't think it's that. I don't *thinik* it's a hard drive problem because I tested another hard drive in the machine and the same thing happened.

I'm guessing something's burnt out, and I'm worried it's probably the motherboard or something.

What do you think?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It could be a motherboard problem however it can also be a power supply that is causing your problem. If you installed a quality ps like an antec, sparkle, etc then I would suspect the board. If you installed one of the cheaper ps, then it may have died also.

Quickest way to tell is to swap in a known working ps and see if it will post.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. I'd guess the motherboard, as I'm assuming from your post, something probably overheated.

What you should do, is to disconnect everything not needed, cdroms, drives, take out any add in cards, try starting with one stick of ram, cpu, motherboard, power supply and video card.....

4. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

Okay,. I tried that. Same problem. I guess I'll just have to buy a new motherboard.

I was hoping it'd be something cheaper like RAM or PSU.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried a known working ps?

6. ~Candy~

crjdriver suggested trying another power supply.

If it comes down to you buying another motherboard, depending on how old the system is, this may not be a good idea. Be sure the cpu, ram, etc. that you have will work on the new board.

7. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

Wow, I tried another PSU and it worked! Weirdly enough, the resolution has gone all ****ed up....not sure why, but hopefully that's not biggie.

Thanks very much, guys!

8. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

I was premature with my celebration, it did it again! I put in a different PSU (which is by no means great but I know it works) and everything was fine, I managed to log in, then my mouse and keyboard stopped working as it carried on logging in and then everything froze complete (just like last time) and then gave me the same problem of a blank screen.

So now I'm just confused, is it a PSU problem or something else?

9. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Is the replacement PSU large enough to handle everything??

10. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

Yeah, I think so. Besides, it's doing the same thing as it did with the old PSU whichw as fine for months.

11. ~Candy~

Will it stay on long enough to allow you access to the bios setup to see if the cpu is overheating?

12. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

Probably not, I was going to try again in a few hours. I'll check for the CPU thing first.

13. ~Candy~

If you make it to the bios, look for PCHealth or something similar....there you should see the cpu temperature.

14. riotgrrl

riotgrrl Thread Starter

No, it won't go anywhere now. Just blank screen again.

I can't really work out why it worked for afew minutes with the other PSU and then resorted back to the state it was with the original PSU. It makes it hard to believe it's a PSU fault, but then changing the PSU did make it work.....briefly.

15. ~Candy~

Unplug everything from the wall, turn off power supply from the back switch and leave it alone for an hour or so....then try again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice