1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer dies randomly in games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Run7s, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Run7s

Run7s Thread Starter

My computer has been randomly dying when i play graphic intense games. (Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, etc) The monitor says no signal and goes to standby and the sound plays the last sound playing for a few loops. I need to hold down the power button to turn it off. Sometimes after this happens the computer refuses to turn on afterwards, i would have to try a couple of times.

I have tried booting with only 1 of the 2 ram sticks (for both) and came with the same results. If the computer was already able to boot, it will. If it wasn't, it wont. I do not have an extra video card to test, and do not want to buy one until i know it REALLY is the problem.

Any input/ suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My computer:
    Windows XP
    Asus A8V-Deluxe Motherboard BIOS Ver. 08.00.09
    AMD Athlon 3400+
    Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS 256mb
    1536 MB RAM (mixed of 512mb value-select corsair and 1g generic brand)
    520W power supply

2. Laurie52

Laurie52

When was the last time you blew the dust out of your computer?

I had a similar problem a few months ago with my two year old HP Pavilion 504n. It not boot up properly and my monitor screen began to look wierd. Thought it was my monitor going out. Eventually the computer would only give me a series of BIOS error beeps and would not boot up. Looked up what these "error beeps" meant. The series of beeps is a diagnostic tool and troubleshooter's code...useful for beginners to know too.

Anyway, I openned it up to find the video card had a coating of dust on it that kept heat in. (hard to keep it completely clean living in the desert) Once it was blown out with air...the video card worked fine. The computer booted up and ran properly. No more monitor screen problems.

Hope this helps you.

3. Run7s

Run7s Thread Starter

I run my computer open case, and clean out the dust regularly. I am able to run games like Counter Strike Source, which are not graphically as intense... so would it be a video card issue? Though last night i was able to play everquest 2 for 4 hrs w/o a problem and when i try to run it this morning, the computer would do it.

I ran the virus scan from trend micro twice and cleared everything it found. I have no idea, what else i can do to try to locate the problem.

4. Laurie52

Laurie52

Ok, you keep your computer clean. Good.

Next...have you downloaded the latest drivers for it? I know you may have done this when you first got it, but it is always a good idea to keep its them updated.

Your Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS 256mb card was considered a great AGP card for the money when it came out. "Wicked speed on old technology" as one person put it. New, it will run FEAR, WoW, Everquest 2 and a host of games like them. However, Everquest 2 is always being upgraded for optimum online gameplay and is quite cinematic/graphics intensive. WoW is the same way. CounterStrike is older game engine technology and the requirements are not near as demanding.

It still could be a "video card issue", though. Just recently, my son's computer was having graphics problems overall. His card was an older GeForce but worked great up to that point. Turned out the cooling fan on his GeForce card was not working properly anymore. He did not know when this happened, but it caused the card to overheat. Although the card was still "working", after a fashion, eventually he had to replace it, whether he liked it or not. Like you, he thought (or hoped) his issues were something else. Video cards are not cheap.

5. Run7s

Run7s Thread Starter

I think it is a video card issue. I went to the bios and turned it down to 4x instead of 8x and i havent had any problems since.

6. Run7s

Run7s Thread Starter

I take that back.. I came home today and my computer would not start. All the boot sounds were there, but nothing came up on the screen and the monitor remains on standby.

7. Laurie52

Laurie52

I am very sorry to hear this. Unless someone can come up with another suggestion, it sounds like your video card "died" and will need to replace it.....whether you like it or not.

Believe me, I know how frustrating this is.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/640820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice