Computer Disconnects Intermittently From Internet. Why?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bizwiz2

First I'll say that I wasn't sure which forum to post in. Since this seems to be a problem with my computer (though I'm not sure of that) I posted under hardware.
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop that I bought second hand about 7-8 months ago. The attached screenshots give the specs on it.

Here is what happened:
I was using the internet today. All of a sudden, at about 11AM, there is no internet connection. I rebooted my modem. That didn't help. I called my internet provider, Spectrum. The automated voice had me reboot the modem again. Still no help.

I called Spectrum again & talked to a live person. She ran all kinds of tests & determined that the modem was OK. She had me do a ping test. Everything checked out.
She was stumped. So a tech was scheduled to visit me.

After I hung up, I thought that since I tried rebooting the modem, maybe I should try rebooting my computer. I turned it off & back on. The internet was again working. The tech arrived about an hour later. The internet was still working. He checked the modem, my cables, he checked stuff outside. He could find no problem. He gave me a new modem anyway & placed a filter on it.

After he left, the internet continued to work until just before 4PM. Then it stopped again. I rebooted the modem. It didn't help. I shut off my computer & restarted it. The internet came back on. I called Spectrum again. This time, they gave me to the internet repair dept. Again they could find nothing wrong and said the problem is likely with the computer.

I've been using this same computer at the same place with the same modem and cables for over 3 months without any problem until today. I don't know why it would suddenly start doing this. I only did one thing differently today. However, when I asked the Spectrum tech that visited me if it might be the culprit he didn't think so. He couldn't see how it could cause this problem.

The only thing I did differently was to plug in a storage device that I bought called InfinitiKloud. After I plugged it in, everything seemed normal for about an hour or two. Then a window kept popping up about every 30-60 seconds. There's a screenshot below. It's just a list of what's on the InfinitiKloud. It was maybe about an hour or so after this started happening that I began having the internet connection problems. But, again, the Spectrum tech didn't think it was the cause.

Can anyone help me find out what the problem is & how to fix it?

Thanks.

Tanis

Shane
Hi, based on your description of events I would suspect the problem lies with the laptop rather than your internet provider.

When the laptop looses internet connectivity do other devices (smartphone, tablet etc) still work? If yes, then its unlikely to be the router or ISP.

Can you download and run the TSG System Info utility (link below in my signature), then copy and paste all the information into a reply here.

Are you connected using a wire or WiFi to the router?

Can you provide the exact model number of the Thinkpad?

bizwiz2

I have only an Android cell phone & this Lenovo computer. The phone has its own internet connection via the service provider. It is unaffected when the computer loses access to the internet.

There is no WiFi or router. The computer is wired directly to the modem.

I'm not sure if this is the model. In the specs that were attached to my post it says Device Name-DESKTOP-FAIF7QS. I couldn't find anything else that looked like a model name.

Here are the results of running the TSG System Info Utility:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210325090014.000000-600
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3450 @ 1.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 92 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 237 GB (163 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 20HTS05E00, ver S, s/n A1SH7B300HT
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 3, s/n LR0AF9AW
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I'm starting to strongly suspect the problem is connected to the InfinitiKloud. I haven't plugged it into the computer since the last time I lost my internet connection and the connection hasn't been lost in all that time. Do you think that is possible? If so, do you have any idea what the issue is, or how it is causing this to happen?

bizwiz2

Well, it happened again. Today at 11:05AM I lost my internet connection. To get it back I again had to turn off my computer and then restart it.

Up until now, I thought the InfinitiKloud was the problem. The day this first happened was the first day I had plugged it into my computer. It was the only thing I did differently. Also, after I removed it from the computer, the problem stopped. For one week now I have not plugged it in and I have not lost my internet connection.

But today I lost it without plugging the InfinitiKloud in. So now I don't know what to think. Another strange thing about this is that it is exactly one week since the first occurrence, even happening around the same time of day. I don't know if that's any kind of clue. But, I lost internet around 10 or 11 am on Thursday, June 24. I lost it again at 4pm that same day. Now 1 week later on Thursday, July 1 at 11am, I lost it again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online