1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer does not connect to internet through router only directly through cable mode

Discussion in 'Networking' started by internetchick, Jul 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. internetchick

internetchick Thread Starter

I cannot connect to the internet via my router. The router is functioning properly two other computers in the house use the router one though Ethernet cable and the other one connects wireless.
    Things I have done while trying to figure out the problem
    • Made sure all windows updates were up to date
    • Scanned for viruses and malware (none were found)
    • Uninstall the network adapter
    • Made sure the network adapter driver were up to date

I have noticed that when I plug the Ethernet cable from the router to the computer the led on the back of the computer panel does not blink as it does when I route directly from he cable modem.

Any Ideas on what could be the problem?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have IP and DHCP set to automatic? Are you using any kind of proxy installed by your ISP?

3. internetchick

internetchick Thread Starter

Yeah I do have ip set to dhcp. I dont have a proxy but I think the network adapter is bad so I am going to put a new one tomorrow. There was a storm and a power surge so it could have damaged it.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well if the computer is connected to the internet direct to the modem, then I don't think it's the NIC. Did you try a different ethernet port?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice