1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer does not power on...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fro, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fro

fro Thread Starter

i dont know what happen but my computer does not power on...

can someone help me. on this... i bought a new power supply.. and put it on.. but still does not power on...

Attached Files:

2. Whitestar

Whitestar

Try unplugging one of the cd drives and see what happens then.

3. n2gun

n2gun

Are you getting any beeps when you try to boot?

Are the fans turning?

Are any lights on the front coming on or flashing when you try?

4. fro

fro Thread Starter

no.. no fan no light nothing works...

5. n2gun

n2gun

Unplug everything except the video, cpu fan and try to see if anything happens.

6. fro

fro Thread Starter

ok nothig happens

7. fro

fro Thread Starter

no still not working...

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is this a new build or was it working and just stopped powering on? Since you replaced the ps, which can just about rule out the ps as the source of the problem.

I would try for a post outside of the case. To do this remove the mb from the case and put it on the box it came in [do not use the anti-static bag; some bags the outer surface conducts electricity] Connect just the video card and one ram chip [unless you have RDRAM and need two] connect the ps both the twenty pin connector and the four pin connector [if used] Now find the connection on the mb where the power switch connects to and jump across the contacts with a small screwdriver. If it posts now, you know that you have either a mounting problem or a bad switch on the case.

As a quick test for a bad switch, I connect the reset switch to the connectors for the power switch. Push the reset switch and if it powers on, you know you have a bad switch.

If it does not power up outside of the case, you will need to start swapping parts with known good units ie mb, processor.

One last thought; make sure you have the hsf plugged into the correct fan header. Some boards will shutdown if they do not detect a fan signal. If this is a new build, make sure the clear cmos jumper is not in the clear position.

9. fro

fro Thread Starter

whats HFS?
    this is not a new build...

10. sir_comp

sir_comp

I don' t want rule out a defective ps that was purchased. There might be a switch on the power supply itself that turns it on and off. Or a bad power cable. Question why was the ps replaced in the first place and was it designed to work with your model of motherboard.

11. n2gun

n2gun

things to check on the power supply. Make sure that it is set to 110 volt and is on.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

hsf= heatsink fan

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since it is not a new build, have you tried the test with the power switch / reset switch?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice