1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer does not recognize camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Czarkazm, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Czarkazm

Czarkazm Thread Starter

Thanks in advance for all your help! :)

The Problem:
    The Computer does not recognize The Camera and therefore will not capture the video.

The Computer:
    Dell XPS M1330 PP25L
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3581 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 302120 MB, Free - 113490 MB; E: Total - 152625 MB, Free - 78179 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U8042, , .FM81TH1.CN7016687I0868.

The Camera:
    Sony Handycam HDR-HC7

The Details:
    I connect The Computer to The Camera using a 4pin(camera)-to-4pin(computer) Firewire cable. I have used three different cables with no success.

I have success connecting The Camera to my other laptop using a 4pin(camera)-to-6pin(computer) Firewire cable and PCMCIA adapter. However, that laptop is too slow to capture video adequately.

The Camera is turned on, in playback mode and correctly configured.

I have success connecting an Audiofire Firewire Digital Audio Interface using a 6pin(interface)-to-4pin(computer) to The Computer.

The drivers are up to date.

I have tried to capture using Adobe Premier 2.0, Windows Movie Maker, and WinDV.

The Computer doesn't seem to even recognize that The Camera is there.

I would pull my hair but I'm already bald.

2. bp936

bp936

Welcome to TSG.

As far as I know, every camera comes with its own program, did you install Sony's own program? Did you try to install new hardware from the Control Panel? Usually Windows can search for new hardware if it is connected through the Add Remove Hardware section.
    Sonys are known to be needing their own programs.

3. Czarkazm

Czarkazm Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. I installed Sony's Picture Motion Browser but it failed to detect the camera via the Firewire cable. As a note, I didn't need that program when I used my other laptop to capture the video. Also, I am using the original Sony Firewire cable that came with the camera but still no luck.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!