1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer does not shut off just reboots

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by killmer, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killmer

killmer Thread Starter

when i use start menu to shut down computer it shuts down and then restarts .... i thought it might have been a problem with the os but did a reformat . still doing it. i pushed the power button and the computer shut off - all except the power supply it makes a humming noise. if anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What windows version do you have? If it is Win98SE, have you installed the shutdown supplement?

Also do you have a network card installed?

http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

When you push the tower button to shutdown, are you keeping it pressed for more than 5 seconds. Just a quick press would normaly put you in standby, rather than shutdown.

3. killmer

killmer Thread Starter

no network card/windows98se 4.10.2222a
    no shutdown supplement and i push the button more than 5 seconds
    and i also tried pushed the button for less than 5 seconds
    system never returns back
    could this be a hardware problem?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

See the Win98SE troubleshooting page in the link above. (left side of page). It also has a "Direct link" to the shutdown supplement.

There are detailed troubleshooting suggestions there as well to try.

You may also have to experiment with disabling (or enabling, if disabled) APM in Windows or in the BIOS

In SE APM can be disabled in Windows through the Control Panel Power Management applet.

5. killmer

killmer Thread Starter

i disabled the power management in the bios and i get the screen it is now safe to turn off your computer... so far that is good because i can shut it off manually... im satified for now until tomorrow. but thank you for your help .. . bye for now

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice