Computer does not turn on right away

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

primetime212

Hi..Well heres the story...I can turn my computer on running Windows XP..but after I leave the computer off a while..I try to turn it back on and it wont POST right away..ie theres no screen action..I have to turn it on and off like 10 times before I can see the BIOS screen..Is this a motherboard problem ?? I changed the PSU, put a new HD and new XP installation, tried different memory..any info is appreciated

Just a question, do you have power management in the control panel set to shut down the monitor, hard drive etc...? Some desktop motherboards do not wake well. This function is designed for laptops and I recommend desktops to be set to "Always on".

Let us know

primetime212

rugrat said:
Just a question, do you have power management in the control panel set to shut down the monitor, hard drive etc...? Some desktop motherboards do not wake well. This function is designed for laptops and I recommend desktops to be set to "Always on".

Let us know
I dont think it has to do with that because this happens when I turn the computer completely off..then I come back later to turn it on and the mentioned problem occurs...

Do you get any post beeps before you turn it off/on several times? Do you hear the fans start up when you turn it on? Many boards will not power up unless the cpu fan is running. If the fan does not start, the machine will not start to prevent frying the cpu.

primetime212

rugrat said:
Do you get any post beeps before you turn it off/on several times? Do you hear the fans start up when you turn it on? Many boards will not power up unless the cpu fan is running. If the fan does not start, the machine will not start to prevent frying the cpu.
yes everything spins up even when I cant see anything on screen..I can hear the BIOS but no XP activity..but for some reason the signal isnt being sent to the monitor all the time...I even tried a new video card and no such luck

primetime212

one of the errors I get is " Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Calb]. contact Dell"

Good morning Primetime, this kind of problem is often caused by a power supply problem. (usually a low + five volts)
Sometimes it can also further be seen apparent if the machine has a problem switching off using the "on" button.
Normally a momentary contact of the on switch turns the thing on, and holding the same switch in the "on" condition also turns the machine "off."
As you would be aware this dual function is achieved by affecting the state of a voltage line within the motherboard.
Often when a problem like yours is apparent, it not only affects the machine powering up, but also makes it difficult to turn it off, sometimes even losing that ability.
If this problem were apparent in your machine it would most likely indicate that your power supply has a problem, even though you have already changed it.
The next probability would be some problem on the motherboard, but I feel that would be a longshot.
By the way although it is arguable that a CMOS battery can have effect in this regard, I have observered it, so it would be pertinent to check the battery voltage and ensure it is better than 2.7 volts. It is easier to replace it every eighteen months that way it avoids odd problems.
Cheers, qldit.

primetime212

qldit said:
Good morning Primetime, this kind of problem is often caused by a power supply problem. (usually a low + five volts)
Sometimes it can also further be seen apparent if the machine has a problem switching off using the "on" button.
Normally a momentary contact of the on switch turns the thing on, and holding the same switch in the "on" condition also turns the machine "off."
As you would be aware this dual function is achieved by affecting the state of a voltage line within the motherboard.
Often when a problem like yours is apparent, it not only affects the machine powering up, but also makes it difficult to turn it off, sometimes even losing that ability.
If this problem were apparent in your machine it would most likely indicate that your power supply has a problem, even though you have already changed it.
The next probability would be some problem on the motherboard, but I feel that would be a longshot.
By the way although it is arguable that a CMOS battery can have effect in this regard, I have observered it, so it would be pertinent to check the battery voltage and ensure it is better than 2.7 volts. It is easier to replace it every eighteen months that way it avoids odd problems.
Cheers, qldit.
true thanks for the advice but I even tried a different CMOS battery..and I called Dell they recommended to me to get a new motherboard

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online