1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer does not turn on

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Suzume, Sep 13, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

Hi. Recently, my younger brother, told me that his computer could not turn on. So, the first thing I did was to check if it was his charger's issue. It seems like it wasn't. Then, I decided to try again with my computer's charger instead on his computer. Well, I noticed something. When I plug my charger into the power outlet, there would be a light to signal power is flowing. And when I plug it into my own computer, it stays on. However, when I plug the charger into my brother's computer, the light vanishes. Is there something wrong with his computer? Thank you !

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Sounds like his charger is bad. If your charger works, and his doesn't, it's bad.

4. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

Well you see, it puzzles me why my charger works but despite that, when I plug it into my brother's computer, the light of the adapter suddenly disappears. His computer still doesn't on with my charger...

5. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

Your charger and his charger have the EXACT same output voltages?

6. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

I've seen where a problem on the main board will cause the charger to fail. I think it causes the charger to engage its overcurrent or crowbar protection. You have to remove power and reconnect before the charger will output again. It's kinda like the laptop is drawing too much power, perhaps a short circuit ...

7. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

I've checked both of our adapters. The input is the same voltage and current. However, in terms of output, the voltage is the same but the current is slightly difference. Could that make it an invalid test to see if the adapter is the issue ?

8. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

I'm thinking that is the most plausible case now. But, wouldn't it be expensive to fix the motherboard...?

9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

If you do not feel comfortable disassembling the laptop yourself, it could get pretty expensive if you need to find a professional to do so. Do you have anyone available who has done this sort of thing before? Of course, you'd need to check the Internet to find a decent price for a replacement part. Sometimes you even need to disassemble it just to get the proper part number.
    Repairing, rather than replacing, the motherboard is not normally a viable alternative.

10. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I don't...

11. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Do you know someone you feel comfortable with that may be competent in such an operation?

12. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

None as well.

13. Gr3iz

Gr3iz Mark

Bummer! You need to widen your circle of friends and acquaintances ... ;-)

14. Suzume

Suzume Thread Starter

Unfortunately, not really for socializing so I guess you are right.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196285