1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't detect D drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UofODuckGirl, Jan 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UofODuckGirl

UofODuckGirl Thread Starter

Hi everyone, this is my first time here. I apologize if this question has already been asked but a couple days ago I was trying to install a new piece of software for my daughter and my CD ROM drive didn't start up automatically like usual. I could hear it wind up but then it would stop so I went to 'my computer' and my D drive wasn't even listed there. I haven't used my D drive for a couple of months, so who knows how long this has been a problem. I had the klez virus back in July but then got rid of it. I don't think that caused the problem because after I got rid of the virus I reinstalled Norton and it worked just fine then. A couple people have mentioned that it coule be a lost driver but I don't want to waste time downloading programs that I don't need. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Did you check the cables in your machine? May be one of them is loose.

If all the cables are in place, try connecting anther CD-ROM drive from another machine. Does that one get recognised?

Which CD-ROM drive is that? What make?

3. Party Boy

Party Boy

Also check if the CD-Drive is being detected in your BIOS - turn on your PC and tap the Delete key until you see a blue BIOS setup screen. Go to Basic (or Std.) CMOS setup (highlighted already when you go into your BIOS setup so simply press Enter to select it,) I assume you have only 1 CD drive and therefore it will be the Secondary Master. In these screen if it says Not Installed next to Secondary Master then highlight it and press Page Up until it reads Auto, then press Escape, F10 and Enter. Let the PC boot up and see if that had any effect

4. n2gun

n2gun

Different bios chips are setup differently. Watch on the first screen and it should tell you how to enter the bios. Also watch the first screen to see if it is listed there before you enter the bios. If it there then the bios is ok. Tap the pause key when the screen comes up and you will have more time to read it if necessary. Then just hit enter to continue to boot.

5. UofODuckGirl

Alright well, I did a little messing around and I'm not sure if I made any progress. I tried going to the BIOS screen which i think is the one you come to before you log onto windows. All i could see was Primary Master = hard drive...there was no secondary master or anything. And now I don't think it is a lost driver because I was dinking around and my computer says that my d drive has the most current driver available. I don't even remember where I was looking.

Somebody had mentioned looking at the cables. Where do I look? I checked last night on the outer cables that are hooked into the wall etc. and they all looked ok. Do I need to take my CPU apart?

Ahhh... so frustrating. I'm horrible at fixing my computer! lol

6. n2gun

n2gun

It may be that somehow the cd got turned off in the bios. You enter it on the very first screen that comes up. Try hitting Delete as it counts the memory and keep tapping it. This may take you into the bios. It may something like standard or primary usually on the top left of the box that comes up. See if primary slave or secondary master are set to auto. If not set them both to auto. The bios instructions can vary. Read how to change them then exit and save if you had to change them.

The cables they are talking about are inside the computer, hooked to the back of the cd drive.

7. n2gun

n2gun

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    you don't have to set an cd-rom options in the bios, but do watch it at boot up to see if a cd-rom drive was picked up. The way i check to see if a cd-rom is good or not, is I make a boot disk with cd-rom support and boot of it. If i can use the cd-rom, its good and windows is at fault. if not I check cables and then try another drive.

9. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Yes, you will have to open the cabinet and see if all the cables are properly attached and in place. At least two cable should go in the CD-ROM drive, one going from the Mother-Board and the other from the Power Supply.

But from what you say, I feel that you are new to this and therefore suggest that you don't open it yourself. Its better to consult a person who knows what is all this about.

10. DiggerBoy

DiggerBoy

This sounds similar to a problem I have just experienced.

I installed the software that accompanied my PENDRIVE, removable flash storage device, and suddenly, my CD-RW ("D:" drive) was gone!

Because I'm a hack when things like this occur, I deactivated the USB in my BIOS and eventually had to delete all of the devices under the "system" icon in the Device Manager (while booted in Safe Mode ) and perform a restart.

After the restart, I ran the Add/Remove hardware program in the Control Panel.

Eventually, I ended up with the CD-RW being installed, but I'm sure there must be a better way to get there.

Currently, I've recovered my "D:" as assigned to the CD-RW and haven't reactivated my USB...yet. I'm still afraid my CD-RW will be bumped again!

Out of curiosity, what was the software you were installing?

11. UofODuckGirl

I was trying to install a Blues Clues Preschool phonics program for my 4 year old. Grrrr! I am so frustrated -- I am going to have to pay somebody to come out here and see what is wrong. I finally got into the BIOS screen; whoever posted the website to tell you what buttons to push to bring the screen up really helped. Thanks! I never even knew that screen existed! lol

When I got to the screen that said all the primary, secondary etc. The first one said Primary = AUTO the three other ones under that said NOT AVAILABLE. I clicked on them to see what would happen and it just wanted me to say yes or no, something like that. I didn't do anything because I don't want to mess things up any more than they already are. I can't believe I am this stumped, usually I can mess around with something and fix things on my own. I haven't checked the cables yet because I don't see how they could just come loose, when I haven't even touched anything down there. Oh well, I will keep tinkering around here. Thanks for all the help so far.

12. UofODuckGirl

It was a cable inside the CPU -- can you guys believe that?? I thought there was no way it could have happened cause I haven't taken it apart for months. I saw this big fat white cord with no home so I took a chance not really knowing what I was doing and stuck it in the CD ROM slot. When I put everything back together -- my D drive appeared.

But I still ponder how the heck that thing came unplugged when nobody has touched it! I think there's a ghost in my house! lol

Thanks for all the suggestions and especially the people who told me to check the plugs in the first place. Doh!

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

Merged both threads for continuity.

Dave

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/110961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice