1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't detect modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ja5on, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ja5on

ja5on Thread Starter

Hey Y'all

The computer was hooked up to high speed for a while, via an external modem, but now I have to use dial-up again. Problem is Windows 98 doesnt recognize the internal modem (conexant HPC) that was working before. I've deleted all traces of the modem from computer as best as I can and reinstalled it with a new driver I downloaded (I dont have the disc). The modem shows up in the device manager and under the modem option in the control panel but when I try to dial my ISP it get a message telling me to make sure my modem is plugged in or it asks me if I want to install a new modem. I've physically taken the modem out of the computer, shut down, rebooted, shut down, reinstalled it and still no luck. Is the modem kaput? Is there maybe a BIOS issue? A port settings issue? Help!

2. winbob

winbob

Go thru Control Panel/Phones and Modems. Run the Diagnostic "Query Modem" and see if the system can communicate with it.

If not then there is a physical OR setup problem with the card. You might also try moving the card to different slots.

Dial Modems are generally a PITA!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice