Computer doesn't detect the graphics card

BenMacTavish

Hello,
I have a GTX 560 Graphics card installed to the PCI-E x16 slot and connected to the monitor with a VGA cable. (Not using any adapter).

Today when I plugged my computer, it gave me a "No Signal" message.

So, I disconnected the VGA cable from the graphics card and connected it to the VGA port of the motherboard. The monitor displayed and I was able to work with the PC so, I went to Device Manager to check what was going on with the Graphics Card.

It said,
"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

1600794180621.png

However, I am pretty sure it is connected because I didn't disconnect it. Also, the graphic card's fan is spinning.

I checked the BIOS Settings and swapped the 2 options for VGA priority (Onboard and PCI-E) several times but still, It only boots with Integrated Graphics.

the Display Properties window is messed up too. It doesn't show details about my Integrated graphics card (Intel HD 2000)

1600795585718.png

What is the issue with my graphics card? Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go back into the Device Manager.

Expand the Display Adapters heading.

Submit an image of that window so we can see which graphics device(s) is listed there.

Go back into the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 properties window.

Click the Driver tab.

Submit an image of that window so we can see which driver version and date is listed there.

--------------------------------------------------

Turn off PC and unplug power chord.

Pull the GPU out of mobo, then reattach GPU to make sure it's correctly and fully seated. Then make sure you connect any external power cables needed from the PSU...ie PCIe cable labeled GPU. Then use a DVI cable to connect monitor to GPU. Then plug in power chord to PC and power up. Go directly into BIOS.....turn off onboard GPU and enable PCIe slot to auto detect.....save and exit. Let PC boot up.....you should have screen activity. Then download and install the latest GPU driver for you GPU. In your case it should be a legacy driver.

If that doesn't work....it could be that the GPU is failing. The only way to confirm that is to install GPU into another system and see if it does the same thing.

BenMacTavish

Turn off PC and unplug power chord.

Pull the GPU out of mobo, then reattach GPU to make sure it's correctly and fully seated. Then make sure you connect any external power cables needed from the PSU...ie PCIe cable labeled GPU. Then use a DVI cable to connect monitor to GPU. Then plug in power chord to PC and power up. Go directly into BIOS.....turn off onboard GPU and enable PCIe slot to auto detect.....save and exit. Let PC boot up.....you should have screen activity. Then download and install the latest GPU driver for you GPU. In your case it should be a legacy driver.

If that doesn't work....it could be that the GPU is failing. The only way to confirm that is to install GPU into another system and see if it does the same thing.
Thanks! I reseated the GPU but I don't have a DVI cable. However, I connected with the VGA cable and it worked. I suspect there are some overheating problems. about 5 mins after booting, the GPU temp had rised to 60'C. It eventually crashed to a grey screen and all I could do is force shutdown and turn on again. Now, it is stuck at the windows loading screen (spinning circle) All I can do is boot in safe mode. What can I do to fix this?

I suspect there are some overheating problems
My guess as well. My thought would be the CPU. With out any system hardware specifications.....it's just a guessing game.

about 5 mins after booting, the GPU temp had rised to 60'C. It eventually crashed to a grey screen and all I could do is force shutdown
That temp is well with in the parameters of your GPU. To keep the GPU temps down.....did you install the GPU software to setup the fan profile. Again, with out the brand it's just guessing.

BenMacTavish

My guess as well. My thought would be the CPU. With out any system hardware specifications.....it's just a guessing game.

That temp is well with in the parameters of your GPU. To keep the GPU temps down.....did you install the GPU software to setup the fan profile. Again, with out the brand it's just guessing.
Sorry, I didn't post the specs earlier, here's..
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 16299, Installed 20200523012829.000000+330
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 100 GB (15 GB Free); D: 182 GB (40 GB Free); E: 182 GB (19 GB Free);
Motherboard: wolfNfox computer IPMSB-H61, ver 1.00
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver wolfox - 1072009
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled

CPU Temperature is about 50'C according to techpowerup gpu-z

1600879168873.png

What GPU software do you mean? I have nvidia control panel and geforce experience installed. I didn't change any settings in nvidia control panel. I also had MSI afterburner but had some problems with it, so don't use it now.

CPU Temperature is about 50'C according to techpowerup gpu-z
Yeah....that's a tad bit high for just an idle temp. What type of CPU cooler do you have?

What GPU software do you mean?
It depends on the brand. I have an EVGA RTX 2070 SC.....with EVGA, it's called Precision X1. In that software, you have to set up the fan profile. If not then the fans wont kick in until it reaches it's default temp setting to activate the fans.

Right now doing nothing but typing this my GPU temp is 26°C.

BenMacTavish

Yeah....that's a tad bit high for just an idle temp. What type of CPU cooler do you have?
Sorry, but I don't know, I bought this prebuilt and I don't know much about hardware.. (All I know to do without screwing up is reseating the RAM, graphics card and CMOS battery..)

There's a fan on the CPU and another fan in the PSU. That's all I know. sorry!

It depends on the brand. I have an EVGA RTX 2070 SC.....with EVGA, it's called Precision X1. In that software, you have to set up the fan profile. If not then the fans wont kick in until it reaches it's default temp setting to activate the fans.
I don't know what software I have to use. However, GPU Fan start spinning as soon as I press the power button to turn on.. It automatically speed up when the usage is high..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online