1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Symetralis, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Symetralis

Symetralis Thread Starter

So , i had a problem with my computer where it powered on then shutted down repeatedly , found out it was an overheating issue so i placed thermal paste on the cpu and everything went fine , i used the pc for like 2 hours to clean up hard drives , then the next morning , i tried to power it on and nothing on the screen , the fans spinned and all seemed to work fine but no boot or post .
    searched on the forums and found nothing

config :
    Intel core i3 3.3Ghz
    Intel hd Graphics
    Kingston 4gb ram x2

sry for my english

hope you can help

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

How did you do this
    Apart from error in replacing the thermal paste - insofar as you used far too much and it has squeezed out onto the contacts of the processor one may suspect that your cleaning of the drives has been wrong

3. Symetralis

well i used a bootable usb to clean the disks so i don't think the disks being empty would matter , and for the termal paste i checked and there was a bit too much , i replaced it and the problem persisted , i don't know what to do .

4. Macboatmaster

I agree, when you said
    Symetralis said:
    used the pc for like 2 hours to clean up hard drives
    and I asked
    How did you do this?

I thought you referred to DiskCleanUp - by what ever method you used, either the inbuilt Windows Disk Clean Up or some third party application
    You still have NOT actually said what you used ON the bootable USB

I now presume you mean you formatted the discs, but I am still unsure

What is the make and full model of the motherboard

Is there anything on the screen - cursor
    OR is it totally blank and unlit

Does the monitor/screen display any message

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    @Symetralis ,

Have you tried to disconnect all drives, peripherals and anything not essential to running the system? Also are there any beep codes? Cleaning/Wiping the drives should not preventing the system from Posting. If you have a GPU and there also is an onboard graphics, then remove the GPU too. Just for testing purposes.

6. Macboatmaster

From the posted spec albeit it is not of course full details, it is integrated in the processor - an Intel i3 3.3GHz using Intel HD graphics
    We do not know which i3 of course.

However if they are integrated, and you do also have an actual graphics card, then if, you remove the GPU, as suggested, if that was the connection used for the monitor, you will need to connect to the graphics port on the I/O plate.

7. Symetralis

for the i3 its the 3320T i think , i used parted magic's disk cleaning utility tool , and my mobo is an ASUS p8b75m-lx

8. Macboatmaster

I suspect the cause is the CPU thermal paste
    When you found there was too much have you carefully examined the pins of the CPU itself to make sure, none has squeezed out onto any contacts

Mentioned in post 5 are error beeps, see section 1-28 of the manual is there a system speaker connected
    If you do not have the manual then you may download it here
    https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8B75-M_LX/E7992_P8B75-M_LX.pdf
    I would recommend to you to buy a speaker if the rest of my post gets you no further.
    Then you should get error beeps on the system speaker

I asked before about the monitor screen but you have not answered that - see post 4.

After power on try the reset button see if there is any difference.

Does keyboard or mouse show any activity - keyboards leds on

Try removing ram, power back on and then power off - remove power cord to PSU, hold down power button on front case for 20 seconds, then replace ram and power on again

The fact that fans spin means very little except the board is receiving power

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice