Solved Computer doesn't recognise ethernet cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TimTam2016

Hi,

First of all, I will donate my last shirt to this site if anyone is able to help me with my problem!

I've now been trying to fix my computer for over a week, reading dozens of forum posts on the issue, replacing things, but all with now luck :(

So here is my problem, (I'm running Windows 7) around 10 days ago when I switched on my computer I noticed that I didn't have an internet connection, after inspecting the router I noticed that it was simply dead (everything else was fine, there wasn't a power surge, lightning etc.). After replacing the router I noticed that my onboard network controller (Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller) wouldn't recognise any ethernet cable plugged into it. There is two ports and both of them are showing up in the device manager and network settings as working fine. I also went into my PC's Bios to confirm that both ports are enabled.

I have tried numerous fixes, like updating the driver/firmware, uninstalling/re-installing drivers, disable/enable. All without success.

Where it gets really odd, last weekend I decided to purchase a new network card, assuming that the ports might be faulty, however the exact same problem still exists.

Now one strange note, sometimes when switching on the computer the router will briefly have the port led, into which the ethernet cable is plugged into, flash up, and at the same time it will show in the Network Connections as connected on the Local Area Connection. This will only last for about a second and then keeps repeating.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Was the new router supplied by your ISP ?

Try to ping the router from windows by opening a command prompt and typing PING 192.168.0.1 then press Enter, if that fails try 192.168.1.1 instead.

TimTam2016

Was the new router supplied by your ISP ?

Try to ping the router from windows by opening a command prompt and typing PING 192.168.0.1 then press Enter, if that fails try 192.168.1.1 instead.
No, new router is from my girlfriend and a Huawei HG532D.

If I ping I get different results from time to time. Please see attached. I'm not too sure what to make of this. Any ideas?

Attachments

TimTam2016

OK, thanks guys. I've just solved my problem. Issue was with the replacement router! Hard to believe, but after figuring out that the same issue exists on another computer with this "new" router, I decided to by a new one and it fixed the problem.

managed

Allan
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad you got it sorted. (y)

If you're sure it's fixed please mark this thread Solved.

(FYI those Ping results mean the bad router had the IP address 192.168.1.1 - not that it matters now).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online