1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't recognize ethernet card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jacksparrow, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Thread Starter

We just put in a new cdrom/burner and Windows 98 is running but the computer isn't picking up the ethernet card. It has picked up all the other devices.

Linksys Router is running, all lights are on and internet up and running on first computer.

Any suggestions?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

Did the card come with a install disk? Most of my old Ethernet boards had floppies included with drivers and such. If it didn't you might want to check their web page to see if you can download drivers and installation software.

3. jacksparrow

jacksparrow Thread Starter

The SMC ethernet has as cd with driver installation. I can put the driver installation on the computer and I restart but the computer doesn't pick up the new hardware. I will check SMC's site tho for troubleshooting.

It could be that during hook up a cable isn't secure or whatever. Kinda frustrating to have to take the tower apart again but I guess that's how to learn stuff. Thanx

4. n2gun

n2gun

Have you tried a different expansion slot? Once in a great while you can get a motherboard with a bad slot and it is possible there is a conflict using the slot you hve it in.

5. zeddy

zeddy

As n2gun says,

check out for IRQ conflicts with the card, you might want to post the IRQ listing you currently have to see if that throws some light on the problem.

6. Deathblow

Deathblow

Also might wanna try putting in the driver disk, going to add hardware, and telling it you have a disk, and where it is, then seeing if it recognizes it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice