1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't see RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jameylynnc, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jameylynnc

jameylynnc Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension XPS D300 with a Pentium II in it. It has 64 mb of RAM in two sticks. The computer has 3 RAM slots. I am running a program on it that requires a minimum of 128 mb of RAM. Needless to say, it is running very slowly.

I have a 128 stick that I took out of my other Dell computer when I added RAM to it. If I put it in the first slot the computer won't start. It comes on and then freezes. If I put it in the 3rd slot the computer doesn't see it at all.

I also have an extra 256 mb RAM stick that is the same. If it is in the first slot the computer freezes on start up and if in the third slot the computer doesn't see it.

The 128 and the 256 sticks are SDRAM and 133 MHz. I can't find a MHz number on the two 32 sticks.

How do I get the computer to accept more RAM? Do I need a different type of RAM.

2. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

The 32m sticks are probably 66mhz,which operated perfectly with the PII processor(also 66mhz FSB).
    I take it you are removing the 32m sticks completely when installing the 128,or 256?
    Try that and go to your BIOS on boot and check the memory status there first.If it is reading correctly there,Save and Exit and see if the OS comes up after that.
    It is possible that you are running into a latency conflict,or that the larger sticks are bad.Or,quite possibly,they are not considered "Backwards Compatible" and won't work on a 66mhz system.

3. Brockman

Brockman

I had the same problem with a old K6 2, it was running at 66mzh, my motherboard had a jumper to change it from 66 to 100 so i put it at 100 took out my 32 ram put in a 256 133mzh stick and its working fine.

4. Brockman

Brockman

that jumper is close to the ram slot on mine, read your manual to see if yours has one.

5. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Good point,find the motherboard's manual to see if the RAM controller does have a jumper.
    DO NOT change the jumper for the FSB! Or you'll learn a fast and bittersweet lesson on over-clocking...,and be replacing the CPU.

6. jameylynnc

The diagram of the motherboard in the book is not like the motherboard in the machine. The book shows the jumpers next to the Pentium Chip. Can I assume that the jumpers will be in the same place next to the chip if the board layout is different?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Hard to say, it may be a completely differnt motherboard, you'll have to check and see. Also there tend to be little legends on many motherboards and the jumpers are labelled - you may be able to use these.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Ah, silly question here, but what is the maximum ram for the motherboard??????? (without me researching ;) )

9. Brockman

Brockman

i just looked on a site and it said your memory has to be pc 66,just type in your motherboard or your pc # and do a google search.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Good point, the system may be limited to 384MB of RAM (128MB x 3) as many PII's are, it may also not be compatible with PC133 RAM due to the manufacturing of these chips. I would check Dell's website or www.crucial.com to see what RAM is supported by your system.

Dell has lots of manuals on their site too.

11. jameylynnc

AcaCandy,

Would it say on the motherboard, and if so, where???

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Go to the Dell website and key your tag number in......or let it identify your system...it'll tell you everything.....but I think Triple is correct, it'll take 384, but just not the newer kind ;)

13. jameylynnc

Thanks for all the info.

According to what I have looked up on the www.crucial.com website, the motherboard only handles 66 mhz and is not upgradable. Contrary to what the motherboard handbook states.

I guess I have to get a different RAM stick than the one I have.

I believe to problem is solved and again, Thanks to all for your input and help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice