1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't see the BIOS after updating it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mffworks, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob
    I am installing a new motherboard, cpu and fan with memory. It was booting okay until the software that came on the disk, @bios suggested the latest update. After installing it, the computer doesn't boot. It's a gigabyte motherboard with a Ryzen 7 AMD CPU and 16 gb memory.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you may be in luck; many gigabyte boards have a dual bios. Post the exact motherboard you are using.

Next NEVER use a windows based bios update utility. Use only qflash which in built into the bios on a gigabyte board. This removes windows from the issue and is the ONLY way I ever update a gigabyte, asus, or asrock board; ie using the built in utility.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be off for a while [have to walk the dog] When I get back, I will check this thread to see which board you are using. Most of the high end gigabyte boards have dual bios however the low end ie cheap boards do not.

4. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for Your reply. I appreciate it. The user's manual says, Rev 1002 12ME-B45ASPW-1002R B450 Ao48s Pro WiFi. The New Egg order describes it as GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you do have a dual bios so you should be able to recover the board. Do the following;
    1 Hold the pw ON button until the system pw ON then goes back OFF ie do not release the button just hold it in until it pw ON then OFF then release the button
    2 Hit the pw ON button again and the system should pw ON. You should see some msg regarding backup bios. Let the system finish. What it is doing is reflashing the main bios back to whatever ver was on the backup bios
    3 When it is all done, the board may restart itself OR you may need to pw OFF then ON. Once that is done, it should boot normally using the main bios

Some of those gigabyte boards have switch on the motherboard you need to move however from your manual, your board does not. So just follow the above procedure and it should work.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a link to the support page for your board;
    https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#kf

Before doing any more bios updates, download the motherboard manual and read the bios section. Be sure you fully understand the flashing procedure before doing any update.

Note if the above procedure is successful, your bios will be back to whatever version the board shipped with so you will need to do the flash again [If you want or need the latest bios]

7. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob

Thanks for the reply. I held the power sw on for 7 minutes. The cpu light flickered, which it didn't do when releasing the pw sw immediately. Nothing happened after 7 minutes. the cpu light was flickering the whole time.

Thanks for the link to the board support.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You did not hear fans come ON then go OFF when holding down the pw button?
    I assume you have already attempted to clear cmos with the clear jumper/pins.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  9. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob

The fans came on when power was applied but never went off. Does this say the BIOS B is corrupted also?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. The system should pw down when holding the pw button in for a minimum of 5 seconds.
    If that does not work ie holding down the pw button, then attempt the following;
    Hold both the pw button and the reset button for 10 seconds or so. The system should then boot with the backup bios.

mffworks likes this.
  11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If both of those fail, it is probably time to try and RMA the motherboard. Most of the time the board mfg will not warrant the board against a bad bios flash however it never hurts to ask.

12. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob
    Forgive my ignorance. I had a computer tech do this and she said she upgraded the BIO in Windows. Not sure what else she may have done.

Where is the reset button?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you had someone do this, then the very first thing to do is call them.
    If it worked before she messed with it and not now, it is most likely something she did.

14. mffworks

mffworks Thread Starter

First Name:
    Bob
    I did and she said she updated the BIOS using @bios program in Windows 10. That is all she said she did.

I have done that and she is very defensive. She has done nothing wrong. Now all I need to know is where is the reset?

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The reset button is on your case. The exact placement is going to vary from case to case. Here is a pic. The pw button is circled in red and the reset in white.
    I really cannot believe any real tech would update a bios using the windows program rather than the built in flash utility that is part of the bios.....

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice