1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't start after moving, please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DDZZ007, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

I just moved my computer from downstairs to upstairs, and it was working perfectly fine before I moved it. now it's not booting up, when I click the power button, the lights still flash once like normal, the cd-rom light flashes once like normal, and I could hear the fan spinning, but the normal *beep* doesn't sound when it starts, and the monitor doesn't turn on like normally, and I can't see anything from the monitor.

What is wrong with my computer, I think I shaked something lose when I moved it. can anyone tell me what could of caused this? how do I fix this?

Please help!

Daniel

2. Rockn

Rockn

Just like you said...."something shaked loose" Open the case and ensuare that all of the cards are seated correctly. Also make sure all your cables are connected to the correct external connectors. Is the power LED lit on the monitor when it is turned on??

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If Rocky's suggestions don't help, try these:

Disconnect all peripherals one-by-one, including the power to those devices, testing the machine after each disconnect.

Check that your memory and video card is seated properly. If possible, try another video display controller.

When I have a really difficult problem like this one, I disconnect/remove all peripherals--modem, sound card, hard and floppy disks, CD-ROM, etc. At this point, all that is in the chain is the power supply and the "on" switch, the main board, memory, video card and processor. If it still doesn't respond, I start replacing other parts (video, memory, etc.). If you have two memory sticks, remove one at a time.

You get the idea.

4. DDZZ007

DDZZ007 Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions, after I pulled the CPU out and cleaned it a little and plugged it back in, the computer started working again. But after 20 minutes on it playing civilization 2 test of time, the thing frooze, and after I restarted it, the computer starts and *beeps* every two seconds, but the monitor doesn't turn on. by the way, my monitor has two modes when turn the power on, suspend and on, it's in suspend when I don't use the comp. and on when I do. In this case, it didn't go on as it's suppose to.
    then after I waited about a hour and tried it again, the thing started to run perfectly fine again. :confused: what the heck is going on here?:confused: I'm kinda confused, so what exactly is wrong with it? Should I be worrying about future problems?

5. brianF

brianF

something is slightly loose and disconnecting do to expansion from heat. Reseat all the add in cards, vid card, memory, cables.

6. Rockn

Rockn

I didn't mean to pull your CPU out....just reseat the cads that might have come loose....LOL

I suppose a Slot 1 CPU can come loose but if it's in a ZIFF socket i have never seen it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice