1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't start regularly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mixedpie, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixedpie

mixedpie Thread Starter

Not 100% sure if this is hardware or software related, however, it really looks like a hardware problem.
    Also, first post on this forum, so please excuse my n00bish-ness.

Windows Vista 63-bit

Gateway FX 6800-01e

Memory (RAM): 3gb DDR3
    Processor type: Intel i7-920
    Processor speed: 2.67gHz
    Hard Drive Capacity: 750gb
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4850 (with 512mb RAM)
    Power Supply: 450 watt
    (everything same as from factory, I have put in a new Blu-Ray drive in the extra drive slot).

Describe in great detail the problem you're having:
    Computer started out (right out of the box) having a problem by having a screen of "vertical lines", it'd take the main colors of whatever image it was trying to open (like opening a game with an initial image that's blue, the lines would be shades of blue, my desktop was orange, so if this happened loading the desktop, the lines would be shades of orange, if it did it when it was starting up, it'd be colors close to black). This happened either when turning the computer on, or opening a game. Once a game was running, it wouldn't happen, nor would it happen "random"ly.

I sent it in to the shop, they replaced the processor (though, as far as I knew, the processor I had was fine). I'm still having the same problem, however...

Now my computer nearly outright refuses to turn on. If my computer goes to sleep, it will often BSOD (though, the blue screen will say that "a driver has been thrown into an infinite loop") or just restart with no error screen. Sometimes I have to restart my computer 5 or more times before it turns on again, sometimes it'll work fine right after the restart, however, earlier today, it didn't even pretend to work, it kept telling me to trouble shoot, and the screen that normally asks about starting normally or in safe mode, gave me the options to trouble shoot, or start normally. From that, I'd get a black screen when starting normally (Vista wouldn't load), or it'd tell me to restore, then restore to another broken point. The restores it chose didn't work.

Leaving it alone for an hour, and it's running right now, but for how long, who knows.

After sending it in for repairs, I stopped getting the lines when loading a game, however, I still do get the lines when turrning on my computer.

Additional computer/Peripheral (Devices) information related to your problem:
    None

What have you done to troubleshoot/diagnose this problem?:
    I have run windows diagnostics, and it told me that it was a problem with the ATI video card driver (My card is an ATI Radeon HD 4850). I've updated and rolled back the driver several times. Neither option has solved it. I've also done a full system restore to factory settings (before I sent it to the shop), which didn't fix it. I've run several virus scans that turrned up empty.

2. BG-0

BG-0

Included power supply is crap, it decided to break, broke your graphics card on the way down. Not exactly the exact definition of breaking down, but the power supply is very much insufficient, and your card (at least) malfunctions because of that.
    If you want a real i7 rig, rid of that, build a new one and put your BR drive in there. There's nothing you can really do to fix this without voiding any and all warranties you may have, and sending it to a shop will only waste your time. They'll never going to actually get it fixed.

3. mixedpie

mixedpie Thread Starter

Yeah, talking to a couple friends/family members has pointed to power supply as well. Would probably also explain why they replaced the processor.

I don't think the video card is wholey broken though, it runs fantastically when it does.

Argh... I hate warrenties. I'm not sure if I should just get this computer replaced (in case the power supply broke stuff) to put my warrenty to use. My dad won't let me fix my computer (that I bought... and I'm 21), because of the warrenty, I can't get my computer fixed using the warrenty. What a bind, eh?

Half tempted to just return and build from the ground up, but, aside from power supply this computer has the build I want, and a really great case I can't get anywhere else (yeah, I know, superficial reason, but for someone who likes to do photography, having a built in compact flash reader is awesome).

4. BG-0

BG-0

Compact flash (in addition to other 95 card/connection type) readers can be had in variety of colors, and are easily mounted to about any case.

Even if you do get it replaced, the PSU replaced, or whatever, the motherboard and power supply will still be of inferior quality, designed to break in a few years at most.

5. BG-0

BG-0

Wow, that is indeed one of the few really unique case designs in factory-built computers...

6. mixedpie

mixedpie Thread Starter

It's a REALLY nice case, the slots for additional harddrives are great, the pop-out pannels with USB, microphone ports, headphone jacks, firewire and a multi-card reader is dreamy. So if the only thing that's wrong with it is the power supply, I really wouldn't PERSONALLY mind voiding the warrenty and replacing it, since I'd rather have a working computer instead of one that will slowly break itself until the warrenty is up in two years (and then have to replace EVERYTHING instead of just getting a new graphics card and some more RAM by then like I'd planned).

I got the computer somewhat cheap (it was an open box, so I got a discount... it had passed inspection, but now I know why it was an open box), so I'd still be getting a pretty good deal, even with paying $70 for a new Antec 650 watt power supply.

7. mixedpie

mixedpie Thread Starter

8. BG-0

BG-0

It's still not from a good brand, I'd think. No matter how "big" it is, it's still a cheapo one, powering a high-end system. I really can't recommend enough building your own high-end system if you want one... You'll know each piece is of a high standard quality, and nothing else. There will be no "weakest links" and things that are too powerful or too powerless for your personal needs...

The biggest problem is that there's no telling what's damaged by the power supply, or if it even is just the power supply originally at fault.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice