1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't start up...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zoradude5, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zoradude5

zoradude5 Thread Starter

Hello, I am sorry to bother you guys, but my friend is having a problem. His computer doesn't start. He said that the problem started a few days ago when he set his comp. to defrag, fell asleep, and woke up later to a screen that he says said something about harddrives and master and slave. When you plug the computer up to the power, a green light on the motherboard comes on. Then, if you press the power button, the fan on what i think is the processor spins a little, but stops, and that's it. any subsequent attempts to power on the system result in nothing at all occurring.

I checked all of the cables, and they were all hooked up. I unplugged the harddrive and tried to start the computer again. Nothing. I took out his ram, and tried to start it up, and then put it back in. Both times were unsuccessful.

I just wanted to know what I should do. I know my description about his error screen is very limited, but I will ask him again later. Thank you for your time,

Carlos Correa

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Beeps? Flashing screens? Anything?

3. zoradude5

zoradude5 Thread Starter

No beeps or flashing lights. The fan does make a little spin (less than a full rotation).

4. friday13

friday13

Try to check your power supply sir

5. 1069

No beeps usually indicate one of two things - The PSU ( as friday 13 has already stated ) or the motherboard is dead or dying.

The ususal check is to take all cards and connections off the motherboard and boot up. If no beeps now then it is almost certainly your PSU or M/B. The PSU is the easy one to change and the cheapest option.

If you do decide to change the PSU ensure that it is compatible. Some are "specials" and are not interchangeable.

6. drumster

drumster

Its definitely the SMPS (power supply). I had a similar problem sometime back, although I was not defragging then.

It is also a known fact that power failures during defragging can result in your HDD going bust, I hope thats not the case...

7. zoradude5

zoradude5 Thread Starter

Why would his PSU fail? Is it just use and age, or is it something that he might have done?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

It could be cheap generic junk, could be age, or it could be too many hard shutdowns using power button...all of which can cause this.

9. drumster

drumster

A sudden spike in the power supply could cause the SMPS to blow off. Every SMPS has a certain maximum tolerance limit, if the input power has a surge, it can get blown off. It happens a lot in India, but I dont know about the supply conditions in other countries...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!