1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Doesn't Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LethalLemon, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LethalLemon

LethalLemon Thread Starter

So before I had any errors, I could play any games done with good temps 50C to 60C. Three days later and I'm playing GTA V when all of a sudden my computer black screens and stops working entirely. Before this I had a blue screens saying (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED). I reinstalled windows and it was working fine, for 10 minutes until the screen went black again and I couldn't boot it. It would only ever get to the Windows logo with the spinning circles. I couldn't find a fix anywhere and don't know which piece of hardware I should replace first. I was maybe thinking that the RAM and the CPU weren't compatible bit I'm not sure. Any help is useful.

Specs:
    Windows 10 Home
    500GB Samsung SSD
    Rtx2070
    16GB 3200MHz G.Skill Trident RGB
    Ryzen 5 2600X
    Corsair 650W Gold
    x470 Aorus Ultra Gaming

2. Digladio

Digladio

Hi,

Why would you think that the RAM and CPU are not compatible with each other? Is this a new build? Have these parts worked together successfully in the past, say long before GTA?

When Windows failed after reinstalling, had you used GTA V? or was this prior to running that?

Here are some things that might help but are generic, so I apologize if you are experienced. I am not a super expert so take it with a grain of salt.

1-Make sure your BIOS is the latest version.
    2-Make sure your video drivers are up to date.
    3-Try to boot into SAFE Mode to see if things are working. This may rule out hardware.
    4-Try to use the on board Motherboard Video instead of your video card to rule out the video card (assuming your mobo has onboard video).
    5-You can try one stick of ram at a time and add additional modules until it fails. You can also test RAM via the BIOS diagnostic program, which your computer likely has.
    6-As far as I understand, your RAM and CPU need to be compatible with your mobo no so much each other per se. I don't think you have the wrong RAM installed if it physically fits and the notch lines up. The CPU specifications should mention the socket type and if your mobo is that socket, it should be compatible. You can check motherboard manufacturer site for compatibility lists. For example, shuttle will list all CPUs compatible with their mobo.
    7-Update windows

3. Digladio

Digladio

Your CPU is listed as compatible with your mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Your mobo has onboard graphics so you can remove the video card to see if it becomes stable without it.

Your CPU is pinnacle ridge. Your mobo manufacturer doesn't list the RAM you have installed on the supported memory document here: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-rev-10/support#support-doc
    However, I don't think that is necessarily a problem. There are lots of RAM modules out there and manufacturer's don't test them all. You can try to Google your RAM with your CPU and look for problems.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The motherboard has a video port or ports however those are for use with an APU. The 2600X listed as the processor does not have video so you would not see anything using the motherboard video port.

For the original poster, you need to answer the following;
    Is this a new build
    Did these parts ever work correctly

Enter the bios and post the following; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Let the system run in the bios for at least 2min to stabilize temps/voltages.

5. LethalLemon

This is a new build and the parts had worked previously but issue tends to appear after playing graphic heavy games. I've even gotten a blue screen whilst playing rise of the tomb raider.

CPU temp: 27C
    12V: 12.312 V
    5V: bounces between 5.070 V and 5.040 V
    3.3V: 3.304 V

6. LethalLemon

Its seemsthat my computer started having errors after playing games but I can't be too sure as I'm not sure what the issue is.

After reinstalling windows the computer had a black screen after about 10 minutes running no games and having no time to install drivers.

1. I believe my bios is the latest version but not too sure and don't want to update because there is a version that makes it compatible with the ryzen Zen 2 chips and don't want to lose support.

2. Even with the latest video card drivers this error still occured.

3. Ican't boot into safe mode as this gives me another blue screen or black screen.

4.doesnt have onboard video since CPU doesn't support it.

5. I've tested ram and messing with it before this issue fixed my other blue screens but now it doesn't do anything.

6. Other people with this issue happened to typically have g skill ram and a ryzen cpu so I assumed this may be a problem.

7. Latest windows is installed and I think that may be the issue but not too sure.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those temps and voltages look OK however do remember that running in the bios puts no load on the system.

Start some basic troubleshooting. Download memtest https://www.memtest.org/
    Make the bootable usb and boot your system using the bootable usb. Let memtest run for at least 1hr or longer; see if you have any errors.
    Next you list gskill 3200 ram. That ram needs 1.35V vdimm or ram voltage. Your motherboard most likely defaults to 1.2V and that will cause problems. Enter the bios and be sure the correct ram voltage is set. Post back with results.

When you reply, you do not need to quote what I said; simply post your reply.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I will be leaving for work in a hr or two and will be gone for 4 days; good luck.

9. LethalLemon

I feel kinda hopeless at this point feel like nothing works. I'll try memtest and if that doesn't work then I'm returning parts.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Be sure and set the correct vdimm.

11. LethalLemon

Yea I'll do that too thanks for the help.

12. LethalLemon

I checked the voltage on the default xmp profile and it was set correctly to 1.35V. Ive been getting these errors even when I tried to fix it by turning off the xmp profile and letting my ram run at 2400mhz and it still didn't work.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice