Computer doesn't turn on after extended use

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

resident

Hi,

I have been searching everywhere for an answer to my problem and have yet to find something. What happens is, after using my computer for extended periods of time (6hrs+) if I for some reason, shut down the computer (Or say the power cord gets yanked out) it will simply not turn back on immediately.
I click the power button to turn it back on, and for a split second the fans, etc, spin and then just cut out and everything is dead. If I click the power button on a second time, nothing even starts to work for that split second; its just completely dead. Now, if I take the power cord out, wait 10 secs, and then put it back in and power it on, I get the same split second power up, and then it goes dead.
The only way I get it back on again, is to leave the power cord out, wait around 10-15 mins, reconnect the power cord, and it works perfectly.
This problem only seems to occur when the computer is "hot", like I said after being on for a fair while, and immediately turning it back on. If I go to use it in the morning after being off all night, I never get this.

The reasons I think it may be, is either a faulty power supply, faulty power switch, or maybe the motherboard? I don't really know (Although I don't think it is the motherboard as it was only replaced a while back because of a burn out :\).
I was reading somewhere about how dodgy soldering can produce different results if the computer is hot or cold because of expanding/contracting. Could this be a possibility with the power-up wiring? But then again, I wouldn't imagine it would even get that split-second power if that were the case. It seems like a short or something.

This problem has been going on for a fair while, but since I tend to have the computer running almost all the time (overnight as well) I tend to not see it as often, and haven't bothered to think about getting it fixed until now.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

G'day Resident, your description is indicative of a processor overheat circumstance.
Possibly the machine is running on the verge of an overheat shutdown and any interuption is alllowing the thing to soak past that point.
This would easily explain your problem trying to start until a further cool-down period.
These kinds of problems are consistant with processor heat sink or fan problems or may be associated with this kind of reasoning.
Inspect all fan operation and heat sinking, especially on the processor and associated components. It would be worthwhile removing the processor heatsink and cleaning and renewing the interface material with something like high quality silver heatsink material. Sometimes the fans become inneffective and need replacement. Some can be relubricated for reasonable longer operation.
Also inspect the northbridge heatsink for proper attachment and cooling effect.
Cheers, qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
One way to see if this is a cooling issue is to take the side cover off and direct a household box fan into the case. After running a few hours turn it off, and see if it'll start right up again.

do you crash when running games or windows running unstable ? And wat are your system specs?

i got a firend having the exact prolem she has a xp 2200 or 2400 and a abit motherboard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online