1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesnt turn on after power outage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dotblack, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

After my power went out for a second my computer didnt turn on anymore. Every time I press the power button the case fans and cpu fans turn on for a sec then turn off. The ethernet slot light turns on if that matters. Also I tried turning it on without the graphics card and ram connected and still the same results. Whats wrong with my computer??

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi, my initial thoughts would be that the power outage may have fried your PSU (Power Supply). It is possible to that that the CPU and/or motherboard (or other components) may also have been damaged.

If you can get hold of a known good PSU it may be worth putting that in to check first of all.

3. CTPhil

CTPhil

What brand of computer? Some pre-builts have diagnostic lights on the motherboard which can be useful in identifying a problem.

4. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

my mobo is asrock if thats what you mean?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

The only way to check would be to replace the power supply with the same wattage or larger wattage.Like stated in other post power supply >mother board or both could have been taken out

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Flip the switch on the psu off. Then pull the power cord out and press the start button for 5 seconds or so. Leave it sit for about 1/2 hour and put power cord back, swich power on and try again. You should be able to boot this way but it tells you the psu is the problem and it won't stay on,oong anyway.

7. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

i tried a different psu but with the same results. All the fans turn on ; cpu fan and case fans and the graphics card light for one second then it turns of. I tried my psu on another computer also and it works perfectly.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

What type of video card does this unit have as that would be the next thing to try a replacement for.

9. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

i have an xfx ati hd 4890 but i tried turning it on without it connected and also disconnected w the hdd and disk drive with the same results. Do you think perhaps it is my mobo? Ive heard the cmos battery causes problems like this. Is there a chance that that might be the case because it would be much cheaper and easier than buying a new mobo.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

It would never start with the video card out, that is a waste of time. Does this have onboard video by any chance you could try?

11. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

i dont think so. My mobo is an asrock g31m-s.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

You have onboard video. Take the card out and hook to the onboard video card and see if it starts up.

13. dotblack

dotblack Thread Starter

How do i turn on the onboard video? Also wouldn't it not matter since without any of the other things connected except the cpu the cpu fan would turn on for a second then turn off?

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

Power supply

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree it sounds like at the very least you fried the pw supply. In post #7 you stated that you tried another psu. Was this a known good unit?

Next here is what I would try next;
    1 Open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out any add-in cards; ie sound, nic, raid, etc. Since it has onboard intel video, pull out your video card as well. Connect the monitor to the onboard video.
    3 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a min of 20sec. Replace jumper to keep position.
    4 Connect a known good pw supply to the system.
    5 Pw ON and see if you get a post display. If you do, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the problem. If you do not get a post display, then you need to swap the remaining parts with known good units; ie mb, cpu, ram.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853670

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice