1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doesn't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

My power went off last night (computer was off and plugged into a surge protector). Now the computer won't come back on. I turned on and off the powerbar but nothing is happening with the computer. I finally gave up and came to work. Any suggestions I can relay to my husband so he can get it up an running? Thanks.

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

See if the power supply (on top back of the computer, near where the power cord plugs in) has a rocker style switch on it.. If so flip it back and forth a few times and try again.. Sometimes power supplys need this done in order to reset themselves.. Also, check the outlet to make sure it has power.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Ok. He just did that and still nothing.

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Try totally unpluging it, then repeating the toggle thing, then plugging it back in and try.. If it doesn't fire up, you might be in the market for a new power supply to go into the PC case.. Hopefully, if that's the case, the power supply didn't take other parts of the PC with it when it blew..

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I lost a hard drive when I had a power supply blow on me a few years back..

6. marcus77

marcus77

Have you tried plugging the computer into a different outlet? Better yet, have you tried to plug something else into that outlet to make sure that it works?

7. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

It's plugged into a powerbar. Everything else plugged into it works fine and the light is on. The Green light was flashing on the tower this morning but went off when I pressed the power button. Now no lights at all now. Usually after unplugging it and toggling the power switch (which he just did) on the back the fan will come on for about 2 seconds but now nothing is happening. I hope all is not fried.

8. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I replaced the power supply last night and now all is well. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice