1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer doing weird things again.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Brokenjunk, May 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brokenjunk

Brokenjunk Thread Starter

So I come to turn out the computer, and I noticed 2 things.

- The computer icons resized themselves out of the blue, and the pop up message says I should go to control panel and enter a certain size to fix the issue. But then I do that, and the size they want me to use is unavailable. Now I'm forced to use another size that's a bit off visually and now my computer looks like crap.

- There's some new excess space on top and on the bottom of the screen. It now hides the red x on the top right corder of every webpage, whenever I maximize.

I must have caught one serious virus, didn't I?

2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Have you tried running System Restore at a point prior to when the Gizmo Gremlins attacked..?

T.

3. Brokenjunk

It says cannot complete because an anti-virus is running please disable it. Yet no anti-viruses are running and there's no turn-off button for either one that I'm using.

Even if I temporarely uninstalled them both, I know there's going to be another stupid reason that will pop-up to prevent my System Restore attempt from successfully completing.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Are you really running two (2) different AV programs?

If so, uninstall both of them, restart the machine and then install ONLY one (1).
    One should NEVER install two or more AV programs

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If you know that - then you must have a crystal ball

However the first approach depending on what these TWO antivirus programs are is to follow the advice from my colleague
    DaveA

6. Brokenjunk

Ok I removed all anti-viruses exept Windows Defender. Maybe I don't need another anti-virus. But some of the sizing is still out of proportion and the screen settings are still very messed up.

The screen resolution is not centered properly. It screwed up on it's own. I didn't touch anything. There's too much black space at the bottom, and the page tabs and exit buttons disapear above the edge of the top of the screen. A couple of things got fixed a bit, but that's the part I still cannot fix. I went on screen settings and Idk what to do. I'm looking for a way to fix that.

7. Macboatmaster

1. What is the make and full model details of the computer if branded eg Dell, Toshiba etc.

2. Is it a laptop or a desktop

3. If a laptop are you using the screen or a separate monitor

4. What is the make and model of the monitor if applicable

5. What were the AV1s you have uninstalled -
    6. If a separate monitor have you checked monitor menu button and setup

7. What and how please
    got fixed

8. Brokenjunk

Ok I fixed the screen resolution issue. I was surprised that I found the option in another area because usually the harder I try, the more roadblocks get piled up in front of me.

Still, I wonder whether my computer is infected, considering the screen resolution and icon sizes of all objects changed by themselves.

9. Macboatmaster

How please - did you fix it

normally control panel display adjust resolution on left pane

Also please answer just point 5 on my previous post and then I will be able to advise you further

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  10. Brokenjunk

Some button from the monitor directly.

And I used AVG and Malware Bytes. Now I only got Windows Defender. Is WD good enough on it's own, or should I download something else?

11. Macboatmaster

As I suggested

WD is IMHO the best for Windows 8/8.1
    AVG is certainly not, as it has a history of causing problems on 8.1 It appears to work OK when first installed but then is apparently frequently the cause of problems.

Support it with a regular scan with Malwarebytes - the free one is good enough for most users, who exercise careful browsing

If you are downloading the free one - be careful to OPT OUT of the free trial of the paid for edition during the installation process

RUN the AVG uninstall tool if you have not already done so
    http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

Finally unless you have any more questions or queries mark the topic solved by clicking the mark solved button on your post - when of course you are sure all is now in order

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice