1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer double clicking by itself -- only in games

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Percey, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Percey

Percey Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm having an issue where my computer is double clicking by itself, but it only occurs when I'm playing games.

For instance: I play The Sims 2. When I click on an object to use it, the menu comes up and disappears almost instantly making it impossible to play. I tried rebooting to no avail. Also, I play another game called Monster Mash. If I click one of my towers to upgrade it, same thing, the menu comes up to upgrade and disappears instantly, making this game unplayable as well.

Here's what I've tried so far:

Rebooting
    Mouse double click speed in control panel
    Using a different mouse
    Spyware scanning (as of the time of this post, a virus scan is in progress)
    Restarting the games
    Searching the web for similar issues
    Using my laptop's touchpad
    Disabling the touchpad and re-enabling

Relevant information:
    HP Pavilion dv5
    Ram: 3GB
    Processor: AMD Athlon dual core 1.90GHz

Any help is appreciated.

Also, this issue just started happening today. The computer worked fine up until this afternoon (May 6th, '09) and no new software/hardware has been installed.

2. Percey

Percey Thread Starter

So, my girlfriend found the source of the problem for this today: Microsoft!

Apparently Microsoft released an update (KB9555430) on April 27th that installs through automatic updates. This "fix" is described as

"
    Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. This update is provided to you and licensed under the Windows Vista License Terms.
    "
    on the Microsoft website. People all over the web have been having major issues with this update (taking 10 hours to restart their computers etc...). Mine so happened to just bomb out my games.

I had to restore my system to an earlier time to fix the problem because it wouldnt let me uninstall. I also turned off automatic updates so I wouldn't get this garbage again. My games now work.

So for anyone all of a sudden having massive computer issues in the last few days, check for this, get rid of it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825005