1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer error with keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cubicks, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

There was a PS/2 keyboard plugged into the computer that has been working fine up until this point. The computer was shut down and when it was restarted the computer will not accept the keyboard input, instead it just makes a low beep. This computer also has a USB mouse attached that is working fine, has no problems at all. So, thinking that maybe the PS/2 connection is shot I tried using a USB keyboard. The USB keyboard seems to be working in that the num lock lights up, but it does the same thing when you hit a key as the PS/2 keyboard.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Best thing to do at this point it try a known good keyboard in the PS2 port and determine if it is the keyboard or a driver or motherboard issue.

You can try the one that isn't working in another computer, but trying a known good one in your problem machine would be a more definitive test.

That beep was probably telling you about a peripheral issue. Hopefully it's the $10 keyboard and not something else...

3. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

An alternate working PS/2 keyboard was tried, the result was the same.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok, now look at your device manager under keyboards and see if there are any exclamations or question marks there.

It won't boot with the PS2 board attached, will it?

5. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

This is were the problem becomes more serious, I am unable to login. This is a business computer with a required login. I am unable to CRTL+ALT+DEL to login.

Edit: Yes, it boots and the keyboard lights do go on. It gets to the login screen and I can precede no further. All i get are those low-tone beeps whenever I hit a key, CRTL+ALT+DEL or otherwise.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Edit: Misread your post.

So no PS2 OR USB to login, then.

More desperate measure. You might try resetting the CMOS. There's a possibility that your BIOS has a setting enabled that is a problem.

7. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

No, no keyboard works, PS/2 or USB, however the USB mouse works fine. All the keyboards produce the same tone, it sounds like a click almost a "tone click", when you press a key. The tone comes from the back of the computer and only happens when a key is pressed, as it the computer is receiving input but tones instead.

8. RT

RT

I had a stubborn keyboard problem similar to this one.

Here's what worked for me:

Power down completely, unplug the computer from the outlet.
    Open the case and remove the motherboards' battery for a minute or so.
    Replace the battery and power back up again. (You'll have to reset the system time in BIOS).

9. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

OK, I will try the solutions provided and post back later. Thank you both for your help.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

Those are both the same solution. If you post your system specs, there is an easier way. you need to remove that battery and unplug the machine for a couple of hours. There is a jumper that takes 10 seconds or so.

11. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

Well I troubleshooted this with the IT dept. and we found several things that confused us even more.

The keyboard works in BIOS. We can get into and navigate in BIOS using the keyboard.

Using VNC we were able to send CTRL+ALT+DEL and login into the computer. Once we got past the login screen the keyboard connected to the computer worked fine.

We were able to lock the station and unlock the station using the keyboard, but once we logged off as the current user, the keyboard stopped working again at the login screen.

For some reason the keyboard does not work in the Windows login screen only. Now, could this be due to the extra window's security modules that are running at that point? Is something amiss in the registry that is causing this ONLY at the login prompt?

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Since you can get it to work in the BIOS try it in Safe Mode, may have a driver issue...

13. griffinspc

griffinspc

Since it's a business with an IT department I'm assuming you are talking about a WAN or LAN connected machine so do you have login client installed? If so try reinstalling the client.

14. Cubicks

Cubicks Thread Starter

We did reinstall the login client and the results were the same.

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

At this point I'd run a full anti-virus scan, malware, spyware scans too. You may have a key logger or other nasty roaming around that doesn't know how to deal with the client logon.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice