1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer ethernet port recognizes modem but not router.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zxypher1, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zxypher1

zxypher1 Thread Starter

My computer ethernet port recognizes any modem but will not recognize any wireless routers. My ISP (DSL) spent 3 hours on the phone with me and can't figure it out. I have also contacted Gateway, figuring it must be my computer. I make money on the side fixing computers, so I do have a good idea as to what is what.

I run Win7 on a Gateway DX4822 with Intel Pentium Dou-core. I have searched and searched for months and have found nothing. I have asked this question on various forums (including Microsoft) and still nothing.

I have wireless connectivity with a USB 2.0 WAN antenna. I also have a blu-ray player, XBox 360, and Wii all hooked up through this router. The player and XBox are wired, the Wii and a printer is wireless.

I have had all things disconnected while trying to solve this issue, thinking that somehow there wasn't enough juice getting through. The cable works. I have tried resets, powerdowns, restarts, system recovery (at one point for a few days it did work as I shared internet from a friend upstairs from me), system restore, many different wireless routers AND modems.

With the router connected, the ethernet port light does NOT come on. With the modem directly connected, the light DOES come on. Other computers/laptops in the house work wired into the router.

This is driving me nuts. I need to have the hub computer wired. All other comps on this system are fine wireless.

Thanks in advace - Zxypher

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Pretty strange, I gotta admit. :)

Gigabit ethernet uses all 8 wires; 10/100 Mbps ethernet uses only 4. The modems you've tried probably have 10/100 Mbps ethernet.

Is it possible that the computer and/or all the routers you tried have gigabit ports and the cable is defective (but works OK for the slower ethernet)?

3. zxypher1

zxypher1 Thread Starter

Well it is a brand new cable and have had tried many others that are also brand new. Not sure where you're going with this, but remember... modems work fine when wired directly to my comp, its the routers I'm having trouble with. And I have three brand new ones to work with and still the same result. I know my comp has 100/1000Mbps, and the best modem I have has a single port out and most likely uses 10/100. Its also nearly three years old.

I have a combo unit as well, modem/wireless router and still the same result. So why would a much older modem work and not the brand new router?

Other than that, I know its not the cable, in conjunction to the fact that new laptops work directly wired to the routers.

Thaks for trying, its a new idea. And I know if I go out and buy a new ethernet card it will work... I know it. But this needs to be fixed. I need to know why its doing this. Besides, buying a new card will use a PCIe already in use.

4. zxypher1

zxypher1 Thread Starter

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sometimes (for reasons unknown) a NIC is not able to sync a speed with one device but can with another. Since your problem is with multiple devices this seems even less likely than the cable possibility, but if you want to pursue it in Device Manager go to Properties of the ethernet, Advanced tab, and try some other values for the Speed & Duplex property, such as 100 Mbps full duplex.

6. zxypher1

zxypher1 Thread Starter

Yeah, I've tried that. Its not in the properties. I have tried all sorts of things within the system, including BIOS updating, chipset driver updates. You name it, I have probably done it. Its gotta be physical, or something so stupid, its easily overlooked. I have even tried reconfiguring the routers, but alas... to no avail.

7. zxypher1

zxypher1 Thread Starter

UPDATE

Seemed to have mysteriously fixed itself. Didn't do a damn thing for the last two days except leave the ethernet cable plugged in to both the router and computer. Self-healing hardware? Self-aware A.I.? You be the decider. :eek:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/980048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice