1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer expert needed

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrfunny123, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrfunny123

mrfunny123 Thread Starter

alright, i've put in many many hours trying to fix this problem i have. let me tell you the events leading to my disaster. ok, first of all i bought doom3. i played for awhile on my geforce3 ti500 2700+ computer. could get decent frames if i played on low qualities. so i decided to upgrade my graphics card. i bought a 6800 gt put it in and to my amazement i was getting 60fps on high quality at 1024x768. at the same time i decided to give my cpu an overclock and some watercooling. having done this before i went along as i normally have done in the past. went ahead and bought a new power supply (antec truepower 430) to give my new video card a processor the juice it needed. after everything was set up, my cpu overclocked, my temp at 30 C, i went back to play doom3. my fps had dropped to 30-40 at the 1024 setting i was using right before my upgrades. i was getting random restarts every now and then as well. after fiddling around with a whole bunch of stuff, i thought i had either damaged my chip when i put the waterblock on, or had somehow messed up my motherboard. a little dicouraged that my project went sour, i went ahead and bought a new motherboard and processor. decided to get an athlon 64 3000+ and a chaintech vnf3-250 motherboard. took out the watercooling, plugged my new gear in, and to my amazement... SAME FPS. so now i'm thinking it must be the memory. borrowed a stick from my roomate, altough not pc3200 like i had in my system, but pc2700. plugged it in...everything still the same. found two other people, this time with pc3200 sticks, plugged them in...no improvement. so now i think i somehow broke the video card, so i plugged it in to my roomates comptuer (p4 2.2) and it runs doom3 amazing. then, i thought it was my power supply, so i took out my roomates and switched it with mine...same problems. i have 2 hardrives in my system, both 7200 rpm, and tried playing on both drives and got the same exact problems. when i put in my old video card with the same settings i used when i first got the game, i get 7-10 fps. i've run completely out of ideas. things i believe i have ruled out:
    motherboard, processor, memory, hardrive, videocard, ide cables...what else could it be??? i have no clue.

note: doom3 is not the only game that gives me problems, but the one i know all the specific details. i still get restarts every now and then when gaming, or watching movies.

2. McTimson

McTimson

Have you tried cooling it with air since you installed watercooling?

3. mrfunny123

yes, after i thought the watercooling was the problem i removed everything that had to do with it.

4. mrfunny123

update: formatted and reinstalled windows, got service pack 2, directx 9.0c, latest nvidia drivers, latest motherboard drivers, and latest bios. conclusion -> not fixed. :(

5. tom1111

tom1111

changed too much stuff at once. always upgrade piece by piece so you can make sure there isnt something wrong with your components.

6. mrfunny123

after i had the problem, everything was in fact changed piece by piece.

7. necro95

necro95

Hi,

Had you check the Mainboard Chipset compatibility with the VGA card? some MB had the problem of utilising the 3D rendering feature of the VGA card. Try seeing the MB related tech notes. Also, from experience, AMD chips might develop random faults when overclock. Happened to me many times before, now I stick to intel...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice