Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer extrtemely slow

Solved 
899 views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
After defragmenting my C and D drives a couple of days ago i find that Windows 10 is slow to load. Even more annoying is that when I try to open Word or Excel they take so long to open that Windows asks me if I wish to continue or close the program. If I try to open an Excel file via Computer Excel opens with a blank page. I don't know if this is significant, but Spybot Search and Destroy, Malwarebytes and other such programs all come to a stop before finishing. They don't freeze but appear to be examining one file for an interminable period.

I also cannot restart or shut down from the desktop (nothing happens). My only solution is to turn off the computer by switching it off at the box. When I turn it back on and I find that the computer is working at its normal pace. I mentioned defragmentation at the begining of this post but it was only after I did this that the problem began.

Should I do a System Restore or is the another way of correcting the problem?

#5 ·
Looking online it seems Defraggler uses a different method of defragging than the built-in defrag in Windows 10.
The Windows 10 one runs in the background automatically and will do things its own way which takes a long time after Defraggler has run.
I would leave the computer on overnight doing nothing and let Windows defrag its own way.

#6 ·
Same problem this morning. The only way I can overcome it is to physically turn off the computer then turn it on again. I hope this work this morning. I find that when I run Defraggler there is always a lot to defragment on Drive C even though Windows' own defragmenter has had a long time to run. Do you think I should remove Defraggler?

Apart from the above, how can I get rid of the problem? Should I do a system restore back to a point where the problem did not exist?

#7 ·
Yes I think you should stop using Defraggler, at least for a few days, and see if things improve.

What seems to happen is Defraggler does it's thing then Windows 10's defrag undoes it then when Defraggler runs again it undoes that and so on.

You can try a System Restore, I don't know if it will help in this case but it shouldn't do any harm.

#8 ·
I will do a System Restore in the hope that it works. I've removed Defraggler as I no longer think I need it. Incidentally, the problem only occurs when I first turn on the computer in the morning. Once I've turned it off then on via the box (I can't shut down from the computer) the problem is gone for the day By that I mean that I can reboot the pc as often as I **** without the problem recurring. Weird?

#10 ·
I did a system restore back a few days to when the problem didn't occur. This proved to be disaster because once the restore had finished the computer restarted but couldn't load windows. I tried every trick in my limited book without success. This was hampered by the fact that the keyboard and mouse didn't work. At some point I got an error message telling me that the problem was related to the BIOS (I forget the actual wording). To cut a long story short, I hae given up and takn the omputer to my local computer store. Thanks for your suggestions.

#11 ·
Sorry that happened. Usually if a System Restore fails it will revert back to the initial state.

Taking it to a repair shop is probably the best thing. Please let me know if you do get it fixed.

#12 ·
I have just got the computer back from the repair shop. The repairer thought it might have been a result of a recent Windows update. After trying everything he knew he ended up installing the latest version of Windows 10 Pro over my malfunctioning original Windows 10. I have spent most of the day reinstalling programs however I have just about finished.

Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.