1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer failling sometimes, possible hardware issue. Disk Read error, Unexpected I O

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mutsukki, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mutsukki

Mutsukki Thread Starter

Hi, I'm kinda desperate here, I've had this Computer for about 2 years, sometime ago, it started to act strange. Sometimes, even when I'm not doing anything, my computer kinda that "hangs-up", I can move my mouse and stuff, but it takes forever for it to do anything, and when it does, it's all at once. Sometimes, it takes too long and I get a flashing BSOD, most of these times, I can't use it immediately, because it gives me a "Disk Read Error" or "Unexpected I/O error" or it enters in a strange screen with my motherboard specs or something, I dunno. I've tried everything to fix it, Registry Clean, antivirus, buying a new HDD, opening the case and putting a strong fan by it's side, nothing works. My case doesn't gets much ventilation, unfortunately, so I thought the problem would be overheating, but apparently it's not, I've installed Speedfan and it gave me good numbers for temperature (except on the "system" area, which gave me around 90ºC with the case closed and now it gives me around 53ºC, but what I've read online is that it must be wrong). While I do play games on my Computer, it usually happens when I'm using Google Chrome or MSN.

What's even more interesting, is that I've already send it to tech support and for some reason, it works fine there, they said they've let a game running (Left 4 Dead) for a lot of time and no problem was seen, they also let the Computer stay on for over 24h, so I really dunno what to do, I really need some help on this issue.

2. Hughv

Hughv

Open Event Viewer in Admin Tools and see if there are any red entries under System or Application.
    It won't hurt to run chkdsk /r on this drive.

3. Mutsukki

Mutsukki Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 7, in Custom Views > Administrative Events, there are a lot of Red errors and some exclamation mark ones, it says that there are 11,093 events. Under application and service logs there are none. I'll try doing a chkdsk and see if there's anything wrong.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Save your files. It sounds like the hard drive is failing. Even if not the hard drive, your files are in danger.

(The registry cleaner did noting but further damage to your installation.)

5. Mutsukki

Mutsukki Thread Starter

I did the Registry Cleaning on the old HDD, this one has barely a month of use. I ran a CHKDSK and everything seemed fine, stage 4 and 5 took a lot of time to finish, but that's normal I think. I was wondering if it couldn't be because of the cables that go in the HDD, but I dunno the symptoms to a failing cable

6. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Did you do a Clean Install of your Operating System on this new drive or did you clone your old drive to it / or load a system image from a backup to it???
    If you cloned or loaded a previous system image you have brought over the damaged registry too. bad move

7. Hughv

Hughv

What are the most common events?

8. Mutsukki

Mutsukki Thread Starter

I did a clean install, I wanted everything fresh new.

And about the Event Viewer, I found just now the right system and application tab and there are a lot of red entries too.

Under Application, the most common is "Application Error" and the Event ID changes, but most has it as "1000". There are some too that are "CAPI2" and "ESENT"

Now, under System, most of it is "atapi" and Event ID "11" (The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1) and some are "disk" also "11" (The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.), but 90% of it is this "atapi" error.

9. Hughv

Hughv

10. Mutsukki

Mutsukki Thread Starter

My drivers are up do date and there isn't any disk in the drive. I actually considered the problem being the CD/DVD drive, I left it unplugged for some days and it seemed ok for a while, but it all started back at some time, so I reconnected it. Guess I can try this again if I see those errors again. Also, searching a bit about this atapi error, people have been suggesting that it may be a poor cable problem, is there anything significant that I should look for to make sure that that's the problem?

11. Hughv

Hughv

Why not uninstall this drive in device manger and reinstall it?
    I know these ribbon cables fail, but it's rare, in my experience. Aclose examination may or may not help.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969734

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice