1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer failure after trying a start-up, I received 1 "whir" noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic54, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

I was taking apart an old computer to stick in what was supposed to be my new Aspire case (instead got scammed by Phoenix), so I decided just to put the computer back together. After it looked like everythign was set, I plugged the tower into a nearby plugin and the computer gave a whir like noise, as if it was starting up.

When I went to push the power button it does nothing. If I can I'll try to get you guys the specs of this thing (P3 for sure), so for now can you think of any common issues?

Edit: http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/docs.asp?sn=0017706701

That is the link to the computer's specs. So far the only idea's I have heard is the PSU. The only problem is that I can't try a different one because I don't have a spare one atm.

2. norton850

norton850

Does your power supply at least start up?

3. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

No now nothing makes a sound, but the first time I think the whir noise might have come from the PSU when I plugged everything in.

4. norton850

norton850

Make sure power is getting to the PC, so recheck the power cord, the on/off switch on the back of the case, voltage settings and power strip/wall outlet.
    Is the LED on the motherboard on? Just to rule out the case front power switch you can remove the two pronged wire to the motherboard and place a small screwdriver accross the pins.

If none of this works you will have to try another power supply.

5. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok, I do not see a LED light on the motherboard anywhere. Is it just something with stock computers because my Dell doesn't have a visible one either. When I plugged the power into a different outlet the whir noise came again. Unpluged it, replugged it but no noise. So I moved it back to the original outlet and I get the whir noise once. Also I'm not sure exactly what to do with the screwdriver part :S

6. norton850

norton850

The shorting of the power pins is a way of bypassing the switch on the front of the case to make sure that's not the problem. Follow the wire from the front case switch to where it attaches to the motherboard. Remove the wire and placed a small screwdriver blade accross the two pins where the wire was connected.

Probably the next thing to try is a new power supply. Remember you may not be able to use a standard ATX type power supply with the Dell.

7. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Well, about that Dell power supply part, why was it included when we are talking about a Gateway? When I talked about the Dell before it was that there was no motherboard LED on it. Ok, not sure if I will have time tonight but if there are any other ideas please keep suggesting.

8. norton850

norton850

Sorry I read your system instead of the one you are working on :eek:

9. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok the screwdriver idea worked, but now is there anyway to permantly correct this? For now it isn't that big of an issue, but I just want to hear your ideas.

10. norton850

norton850

If the screwdriver worked and your system is on and running then your power switch on the front of the case is bad. Most large computer stores or a repair shop probably have something you could use as a replacement. If you're in the US Radio Shack will have switches but they most likely won't fit cleanly into the same spot on the case.

As a temporary fix, use the wires from the reset switch and put them on the power pins on the motherboard. Your reset switch/ button becomes the power switch.

11. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

"As a temporary fix, use the wires from the reset switch and put them on the power pins on the motherboard. Your reset switch/ button becomes the power switch."

Exactly where would the wires from the reset switch be located because I'm not familar with these directions.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice