1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer for downloading movies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doogdoog, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    I want to build a computer strictly to download movies from my cable company (Oceanic) and was wondering what
    type of MB, cpu, ram amount, etc would be needed. Do I need a lot of ram? What brand and type of mobo? What would be
    a good cpu (I prefer Intel). I know this is kind of vague but I just need some good suggestions.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. adam3088

adam3088

If litterally all you're using the system for is downloading the movies, then specs are fairly irrelevant.

Practically any PC built in the last few years will be perfectly fine for simply downloading (although HDD space is more of an issue).

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Are you sure they offer downloading and not streaming? What quality are the movies? Where will the computer be used? Connected to a TV? In a media center cabinet? In a living room? Office?

4. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    Thanks for the replies and I may not have used the correct term downloading, or streaming. What I want to do is copy
    a movie like how a vcr does. I want to set a timer so I will be able to copy a movie to my hdd and then either burn it to a dvd
    or keep it on the hdd. I noticed that when I try to watch utube the movie sometimes stops until it loads more so I was wondering
    if more ram was needed or a faster processor.

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

To be able to "record" cable TV broadcasts, you need a computer with a TV tuner that is compatible with your service and hardware, and then you need to configure Windows Media Center to work with the tuner and channel guide.

YouTube is a video streaming service that isn't anything at all like "VCR" kind of functionality. What you're describing is buffering which is most likely due to your internet connection speed.

6. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    Thanks for the reply and would the buffering affect recording the TV broadcasts to my hdd?

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No because you'd be recording over your cable TV line, not the Internet.

8. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice