1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freeze on Splash Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HavoCTJedi, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HavoCTJedi

HavoCTJedi Thread Starter

Hello everyone...

I have a major problem. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. Originally, about a week ago, I uninstalled some software that required a restart, so I let it automatically restart. Big problem. My computer won't boot back up! It goes through all of the normal boot processes, gets to the black windows screen with the green loading bar, THEN it gets to the blue splash screen, and it freezes!

I wiped my hard drive and thought it was fixed. Then I installed Unreal Tournament 2004, restarted at the end, and bang, it froze again. I've removed all PCI cards, unplugged and replugged hard drives...the whole bit.

The main problem is, I CAN'T BOOT INTO ANYTHING! I can't boot into safe mode, network mode, command prompt, last known good configuration, ANYTHING. They ALL come back to the splash screen that freezes! PLEASE, PLEASE, any help will do. I'm at my friend's house, so I can't make a boot disk, would that help? Thanks in advance...

2. pjblevin

pjblevin

When you say you "wiped your hard drive", do you mean that you reinstalled windows? If so, did you do a "clean" install? You'll be able to tell if you did a clean install or not by whether ANY of your files or programs are still there. If they are still there, then you didn't do a clean install. A clean install is the way to go (assuming you've saved all the files that are important to you).

3. HavoCTJedi

I couldn't boot into Windows, so I simply booted from the disk, and did a re-install by using the offered disk formatting, or wiping. So...I'm really screwed now. I'm trying to make some boot disks right now, so I'll see how this goes...any ideas are still welcome. Thanks for the help so far.

4. pjblevin

pjblevin

Tell me exactly what you did after you put your XP disc into the tray.

5. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Can you boot on the XP CD to the recovery console? If so you can run FIXBOOT and then chkdsk /p to repair the file system.

Clean Install XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

When you were removing all of the cards did you think to reseat your RAM modules? (;))

6. HavoCTJedi

Ok, I did RAM-PAGE's thing, and actually got into the recovery console. I couldn't remember my administrator password, but realized I had wiped my hard drive recently, so empty set worked. Anyways, I did all of the things you say, and it came back with some statistics. Should I just reboot now? Should it work? I'm about to go try, so let's see how this works...

7. HavoCTJedi

Everyone...this happened again.

I got this solved awhile back by reformatting a few times, but now, the problems back again. My computer works when it wants to, and doesn't do anything when it doesn't feel like it. I can't wipe my hard drive this time, because there's a map I've been working on for Jedi Academy for months now. Is there ANY way to retrieve this file? It's about 12-13 megabytes, so it can't be put on a simply floppy drive. I have an iPod I can put it on, but I don't know how to retrieve the file, then transfer it. PLEASE, if anyone knows how to fix this, I will be forever thankful.

8. pjblevin

pjblevin

Havo: When you get yourself out of this mess, you should give some hard thought to "backing up". EVERYBODY who doesn't want to lose their files should back them up. Then you're worry-free. If your system goes down, you don't lose your stuff. I lost some files a long time ago, and was determined that it wasn't ever gonna happen again. I told a friend that if my house caught fire, I'd make sure that I pulled the hard-drive from my Linksys NAS unit before I went out the door. (It has a little handle that you pull and presto, out comes the hard-drive.) There are different schemes for backing-up (I'm talking here about backing up personal files, not system backup), it's relatively inexpensive, and using the free Microsoft "briefcase" utility, you can sychronize effortlessly.

pjblevin

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!