1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freeze - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Inflict, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Inflict

Inflict Thread Starter

Problem:

My computer seems to be freezing randomly. Very randomly. It freezes “whenever it feels like it”. It doesn’t give any error messages or any information or unhandled exceptions, it just stops functioning, and my screen stays the same. Nothing, at all, happens. The screen totally freezes, and I cannot control anything, move the mouse, and if I am playing any games, it freezes and the sound skips. At least if I had some sort of error messages I could look further into it. But I don’t. I recently installed the 3 software/hardware shown below under the “Recently installed” section. These freezes started at about the time that these items were installed. Now, I’ve tried removing the hard drive, even though it shouldn’t have a connection with the rest of the computer, but it still has the freezes without it. I doubt that it is the Java 2 Runtime Environment. So, I believe it might be the fan. Is it possible that its pulses make my computer freeze or perhaps rattle the motherboard or graphics card or audio card on that side of the case? I will try removing it and seeing if I still receive these problems…what do you guys think? Help me out, please. I have a unique situation.

System:

Motherboard: P4C800E DELUX INTEL875 chipset FSB800 Dual DDR400 RAID SATA

Video Card: ASUS 9800XT/TVD 256MB DDR DVI, TV OUT 8x AGP

RAM: KINGSTON 256MB DDR RAM 400MHz **KVR400X64C25/256**

Processor: PENTIUM 4 3.2C GHz w/512K 800MHz FSB

Power Supply: 420W PS (Enermax EG425P-VE (SFMA) SMART FAN RUN 2mins AFTER PC SHUTDOWN

Primary Hard Drive: WDC WD800JB-00CRA1 80GB Hard Drive

Recently installed:

Java 2 Runtime Environment 1.4.2

Maxtor 6Y160PO 200GB Hard Drive (Secondary)

Enermax 8cm Fan (This is my third fan attached to this computer. It pushes air in from the back of the case, located above the graphics card).

Background applications (that usually run in the background for me):

HP Photosmart 7350 Series Printer Software

ATI GPU Software

McAfee VirusScan Software

Bluetooth Logitech Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Software

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It looks like a heat problem, or a hardware issue. As McTimson always suggests (for everything!) is to take the side of the case off, clean the dust (with compress air) and then point a fan into the computer.

3. Inflict

Inflict Thread Starter

I will try that. I tried taking away the recently added fan but that surely wasnt the issue. I'm gonna take the cover off, get some compressed air to dust, and then try using an external fan. I'll let you know how it goes...

4. Inflict

Inflict Thread Starter

Well, it looks like its not overheating. I've placed a house fan right beside the comp after opening the case and leaving it open. I even opened my windows to let cool outdoor air flow in (live in Canada). What could it be now?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well it does not sound like a software issue, but I would suggest using HighJackThis to see if there is anything that could be causing it.

When you scan for a log, save the log first (don't fix anything yet) and then copy the log and paste it here.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!