1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freeze + powers off

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MichaelW2, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:50 PM.

Advertisement
  1. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Hoping to get some help with a issue I am having with my machine. It is a couple of years old and has recently started powering off during game play.

There is no blue screen, the display freeze, sound continues for a few seconds, then the machine turns off. To me it should be either a Graphics Card issue, CPU heating issue, or insufficient power.

What's odd is that it has only recently started to happen. and seems to happen once a day, even when running stress tests (FurMark) I do not get consistent results. It can happen 1 hour into game play or 5+.

Graphics Card: NVidia GeForce GTX 980
    CPU: Intel i7-5820K Extreme Hex Core
    Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming Motherboard (Socket LGA2011-3)
    RAM: Corsair CMR32GX4M4C3333C16 Vengeance RGB 32GB
    Power Supply: Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000x 1000 W 80 Plus Gold Certified Modular
    Cooling: Custom Loop Liquid Cooled.

Both the Graphics Card and CPU do not go higher than 40-45C under a stress test, and there is no overclock on the machine. I do not see any errors in the event log after a crash. And there is no scheduled tasks executing at the time of the crash.

Is there any logging tools I can use to collect more data on what could be causing the system to crash, I have done a full Windows 10 installation (Including reformat). I would really like to get a good idea what is causing it before replacing parts, as these can be costly, and I really do not want to have to keep re-draining/re-filling the custom loop each component swap.

Thanks in advance,

Please let me know if you need any further information on the machine.

Regards,

Michael.

2. Sponsor

3. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    With that power supply, I doubt that power is the problem, especially the gold edition. From your varying readings on the stress test, sounds like a video card issue. Have you taken the video card out, blown it out, and tried re-seating it? Also, run a memtest for good measure.

4. Paul23

Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Oh...by the way...have you updated your BIOS to the newest version and installed the newest motherboard firmware driver? If not, I can see Windows misbehaving.

5. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Thread Starter

Hi Paul23,

Thanks for the quick response, yes I have strong doubts about the power supply too, and suspect the Graphics Card, just kind of don't want it to be, and want to be 100%, before I purchase a new card.

I Have just done what you suggested, removed and cleaned the connector and slot with compressed air can, will see how that goes tonight.

The MB has been updated to the latest Bios version and I have run memory tests over night with no issues.

6. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Thread Starter

Okay, 2 hours into a game the same thing occurred.

Will look to purchase a new Graphics Card and hope this resolves my issue.

If anyone has any suggestions in the mean time let me know.

I will update once a new card is installed.

Thanks again Paul23 for the help.

Paul23 likes this.
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204887