1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freeze with Wierd Screen Pattern

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boe377, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boe377

boe377 Thread Starter

I can usually find solutions to my problems online somewhere, but this problem has stumped me so here I am on bended knee. My computer is freezing randomly: no blue screen or anything, just a total lockup. When it freezes, a pattern of rectangles appears on the screen. To get out of the freeze I have to restart.

I have attached a photo of this freeze phenomenon. The photo shows this pattern at the log-in screen because it froze on this occasion when coming out of stand-by. Usually it just freezes out of the blue when I am working on the computer and have several programs open, such as Internet Explorer, Outlook or Word. I always get this strange pattern on the screen.

On some of the freezes, the event viewer log shows a sequence of similar event ID's usually ending with 32003. Microsoft Tech Net says this is related to the Network Address Translator.

I have also attached a pdf file which shows the Windows event log entries for before and after the freeze. Usually, but not always, the last log entry before the freeze is event ID 32003. I have searched this forum using 32003 as the search term and haven't seen anything related to this problem but I'm hoping somewhere has seen this before.
    My system:
    ASUS P5GDC-V Deluxe mobo which has an Intel 915 Express chipset, Intel integretated graphics 82915G/GL/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family , 82915G Memory Controller, Intel 82801FR I/O controller hub (ICH6R) the processor is an Intel PR 540J 3.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache. I have 2GB of Kingston DDR 400 memory, two Seagate 200GB HD's, Plextor CD/DVD, in an Antec case, running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates, etc. Extensive anti-virus spyware protection: Windows One Care & Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy and WinPatrol. My system is completely clean of malware. Also running Office 2003 Pro, IE, etc.

Attached Files:

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

Video card that freezes?

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

First let's see if the computr has any infections in it. I would like you to run a HijackThis as per the following:

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Also do you have the Windows Install software for your system and the legal keycode?

4. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

that is a hardware problem it seems

i had that same problem when i got a faulty geforce 6800

lucky BFG tech has a lifetime warenty

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Lots of things can cause it I am just looking to get the most information with out asking for certain things, besides HJT tells a lot about what it is supposed to Infections.

6. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

I just couldnt see how an infection would cause that. Sure, may cause the freezup, but shouldnt cause those unusual blocks on screen.

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

DHCP, NAT it sounds like we are discussing a router. Does it always happen when you are on the net?

8. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

it really seems like a hardware problem you should RMA the videocard

also if you stomp on the floor next to the px you will see that the lines get worst

eventually those lines will start happening at bootup on the bios post page
    and eventually it will become permanent

it happens when a videocard is not built well or when it has a bad pipeline

(ati and nvidia will usually use the same gpu for many different cards (some chips are built using chemicals because machines cant get that small)

A cpu and a GPU has a high rate of problems, when they have like 1 or 2 bad pipelines and the person who inspects it all finds it, they simpaly sell the card as a geforce6800 instead of a 6800 GT

and ectra working gpus with no problems will be made into 6800's with HW masked pipelines

if your lucky enough to get those cards then you can unlock 4 extra pipelines and 1 extra vertex shader. if not you may get a 6800gt gpu with 4 or more bad pipelins and you will be unable to unlock them.

sometimes the card will more more problems then inspected and when you get it, you see these problems

this is a common problem as if you google it or look at newegg reviews you will see that a few people will have this problem and have to RMA the card.

9. boe377

boe377 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the well-reasoned input. I am impressed by the depth of talent here! And I say that with a lot of experience in dealing with Microsoft and ASUS tech support. Allow me to respond to each theory in no particular order:

(1) Is it the video card? In my original post, I should have mentioned that I don't have a standard video card. The Intel integrated grapics that came with the motherboard are sufficient for what I use the computer for which is Outlook, Word, IE and some light photo work (Adobe Photoshop Elements). The Intel integrated graphics include a "Graphics Media Accelerator 900" which you can see the specs for on the second page of the pdf file at this link.

One of the reasons I got this mobo and chipset was because it allowed a dual monitor setup and I am running a dual monitor setup with an DVI-ADD2 card. I've attached a pdf file that is a chipset-graphics report from my computer that I generated this morning using the Intel utility. It will tell you everything you might want to know about my grapics and monitor setup.

(I did have a problem with the Intel graphics driver last month. It had become corrupted and my CPU was running high. Using Sysinternals Process Explorer, I tracked the problem to high DPC's and tracked those to the Intel driver. After reinstalling the driver the problem was resolved).

(2) Is it the router? Does it always happen when you are on the net? Yes, I do have a router and yes, I think it does always happen when I am on the net. AND, I have had problems with the router sometimes disconnecting itself from the net. When it does that, I have to reboot it. The router is a Linksys Model BEFSR41 which has been a periodic headache.

(3) Do you have the Windows Install software for your system and the legal keycode? Yes.

(4) Run a hijack this log. Like I said, I am 99.9% certain I don't have a virus/malware problem. I had a brutal Spy Sheriff infection in January and revamped my entire security setup, so it should be airtight now. However...who knows? So I will run Hijack this and post the log later this morning.

And by the way, I had the freeze up again this morning. The event log for before and after the freeze, which occurred at 6:50 am in the log, is attached.

About 45 minutes before the freeze, the log shows the same suspicious series of errors which include:

Error Event ID 1002 (source: Dhcp): "The IP address lease 192.168.1.100 for the Network Card with network address 0011D887AADC has been denied by DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)."

Followed by an Information (not error) ID of 8033 (source: Browser): "The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcip_{88755EEF-E828-44EF-9897-D327216A3012} because a master browser was stopped."

Followed by an Error Event ID 32003 (source: IPNATHLP): "The Network Address Translator (NAT) was unable to request an operation of the kernal-mode translation module. This may indicate misconfiguration, insufficient resources, or an internal error. The data is the error code."

Followed by 45 minutes of Informations from the Service Control Manager with event ID's of 7035 or 7036 saying "The Adobe LM Service service was successfully sent a start control" or "The Adobe LM Service service entered the running state." (On previous freezes the Informations that follow the errors will vary and are not always related to this Adobe service, so I don't think the freezes are related to this Adobe service).

Followed by the freeze up (see log attached).

Does any of this information narrow down the number of possible causes of this problem?

Attached Files:

10. boe377

boe377 Thread Starter

Hijack This log attached as pdf file.

Attached Files:

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Sure seems router, NIC related. Those aren't video card problems. Why don't you pull the router and hook up direct for awhile. NIC's are also cheap, it might be worth trying a new one. I've had 2 NIC's go bad on me. I don't understand how that would cause your screen corruption, but it's obviously a problem that should be corrected.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124107

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833105123

As far as your router maybe some help here.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does it ever freeze when choosing either Safe Mode or VGA mode from the f8 boot menu?

Looking at your screenshot, I'm inclined toward a graphics card (chip) problem -- but perhaps you should verify the refresh rate setting on the monitor; 60 hz should work as a default for everything. I think that's what your PDF file is reporting.

The freeze and graphics corruption isn't going to be caused by a DHCP error, that's for sure.

13. boe377

boe377 Thread Starter

Mystic Eyes suggests router, NIC related. Let me ask some rookie questions on that subject:

The New Egg links you provided are for PCI Network Adaptors that are internal. I am trying to figure out what I currently have because I didn't add or see a card like that when I built it. I assume that function is done by my Gigabit LAN Controller. My manual says: "The motherboard comes with a Gigabit LAN controller to meet your growing networking needs. The controller uses the PCI Express segment to provide faster data bandwith for your Internet, LAN and file sharing requirements...This port allows Gigabit connection to a LAN thru a network hub." Here's a link to a description and picture of my mobo.

In other words, the New Egg links have me confused because I thought we were talking about my external Linksys router and now we are talking about an internal card, right? Are you saying I should replace my existing internal LAN setup, whatever it is, with this internal Linksys NIC card? The external router is what I have had problems with so I assumed you were talking about replacing that. Did I misunderstand that?

Rollin' Rog asks if it ever freezes when choosing either Safe Mode or VGA mode from the f8 boot menu? I don't know, I haven't tried that yet. Do you want me to run in Safe or VGA mode for an extended period to see if I get the freeze? (I verified the refresh rate which is 60 hz on both monitors).

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try VGA mode first since that is the same as normal mode except it loads standard VGA drivers.

However, be advised that if the chip itself is bad (not just a bad driver install) you will still see the problem. I had to replace a card that showed corruption very early in the boot process, and persisted in both Safe and VGA mode.

You can also try Safe Mode with Networking Support. If it's a router or Networking issue of some kind -- you should still experience it -- but if its a Display driver issue, you won't. If it's a "hardware" issue -- you will, unfortunately.

By the way, have you ruled out overheating? Does it ever happen from a completely cold start?

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Those were some quick links to some standard brand name internal PCI NIC cards, I didn't really inspect your MOBO's config. You might try updating/reinstalling your NIC drivers. You might also want to take a peek at your LAN configuration.

At least for those errors a review of your routers set up may be in order.

http://www.dslreports.com/nsearch?boardlist=39&cat=remark&advanced=1&39=1&p=10&o=r&q=BEFSR41

On other forums many have complained about built in NIC's. I suggested a NIC because of the NIC-> Router connection and the odd DHCP, NAT and NIC error messages.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice