1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes after 10 mins of use

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akaChris, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akaChris

akaChris Thread Starter

So I was using my computer and suddenly my power went out in the whole house. Then once it came back on, everytime I turn on my computer to use it, it runs fine for about 10 minutes then it will freeze with only the mouse being able to move but not click or interact. I'm not sure if its the hardware in it or what but I'm sure it was caused by the power outage. Please help

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 8182 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (807 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Alienware, 04VWF2
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Disabled

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Problems related to power failures, such as freezing, can be due to any number of issues. These might be easy to fix, if you're lucky, or hard to fix. It's best to be systematic in your approach and try the simpler solutions first, moving on to the more involved fix attempts if the earlier ones don't work. You can try, using your judgment about what seems most relevant:

1) to attempt to fix corrupted system files, using SFC /SCANNOW, reinstall drivers for suspect devices (such as your mouse); Windows startup repair

2) check bios and cmos, and reset to optimized default settings

3) to try to fix hard drive issues, run hdd diagnostic software; run Chkdsk

4) run the hardware checks for memory, CPU, psu tester; Occt stress test psu

5) Reinstall operating system

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

As 8biosdrive said Power outages can cause corrupted system files or even hard drive issues (lost power while writing to disk) Good luck with your tests. If you have errors with your SFC test it may have to run several times to fix them all. Also make sure your CPU temperature is ok also. OCCT will show that.http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/software

This can be avoided by having a UPS back-up in the future, I have one on both my computers , it will shut them down normally after 1 minute of outage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice