1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes at Compaq boot screen..PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shavonne, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

Compaq Presario 5003
    Pentium III Processor 933 MHz
    128 MB Mem 60 GB HD Win XP

My computer was working fine this morning, I didn't download anything or do anything different, just normal web searching. As I'm loading a web page, the computer freezes. I Cntrl Alt Dlt and nothing, so I turn off my computer and turn in back on, it reboots to the Win screen where you sign in as an identity, I enter my password and it freezes. Again, I have to reboot the computer manually, and it freezes at the Compaq screen that comes on when you first turn on the computer. I turned off the comp, opened it, removed my fan, blew it out a bit, removed the processor and reseated it (in the process, reseated it incorrectly and bent a far corner prong, attempted to straighten w/tweezers, and ultimately BROKE it off...DOH!). I wasn't sure if the broken prong would have a big effect, so I reseated it correctly, reseated my memory, and tried again, same thing, just hangs at the Compaq screen. At this point, I don't know if it's still just the same problem it was having intially, or if the broken prong on the processor is now a problem as well. Is there anything I can try short of replacing the processor. I thought maybe the prong could be resoddered (sic) to the processor, but I'm told no such luck. Can anyone please, please help? I'm an Internet addict and I'm beginning to have pitiful withdrawls. My mothers computer...well..it just isn't the same!! Thank you in advance to any kind soul that can be of assistance.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    ignoring the broken pin just for the moment.
    I would see if you can boot into safe mode
    as it boots hit F8 a few times.

if it does boot into safe mode - then choose safe from the list and let it boot.
    then see if the device manager has any yellow or red icons.

if you can let us know which pin - someone may know if it used

3. dbrownell777

dbrownell777

missing prong missing computer put it that way. Replace the CPU.
    1. Boot to safe mode if you can.
    2. Delete all temporary internet files and temp files under doc and settings.
    3. Run a check disk (chkdsk -f) at the command prompt.
    4. down load some where else Adaware the program. and soe sort of pc fixer for the registry utility. I use system mechanic. www.systemmechanic.com
    5. run a defrag for the heck of it and everything should be fine.

4. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

I'm not able to boot to safe mode. The prong that is broken is the one farthest diagonal from the diagonal lined corner..can't figure how else to explain it.

So all I can do at this point is to buy a CPU?

Thank u

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    well you may want to consider an upgrade - would cost a lot more - but maybe this is the time. You could build your own. some of the components can be used again - Hardrive, floppy, CD.
    just need a box, motherboard, CPU and memory

6. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

I thought about that as well. The have a lot of computer shows around here to buy quality parts very cheap. Doesn't the CPU have to be compatible with the motherboard? Could I find out the compatiblity by looking online or just asking the vendor? Using the same harddrive etc I wouldn't lose any of my data...right?

I appreciate your help, by the way.

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you buy a new motherboard then it would be avisable to reload all the softeware - and then yes you would lose the data, however, if you put the harddrive into another system as a slave you should be able to copy off the data. Off course that depends on where the original fault was - it may be a faulty harddrive.

yes the CPU and motherboard need to be compatable, as does the memory.

Where abouts in the world are you ??

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

If you look for a new PIII I think you can go up to 1ยท7GHz if your motherboard will support it. You really need more RAM to run XP well. 512Mb is really the practical minimum with XPSP2 and more can help depending on your programming.

http://www.pricewatch.com

You need to know what motherboard you have.

Download CPU-Z and run the program which will produce an html report. You can then easily see what motherboard you have and then look up the motherboard manufacturer to see what can be done.

CPU-Z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

9. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

I'm in Southern California. I have so much data on my computer I would HATE to lose it. I hope I can save it somehow. Thank you all for your help

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have any mates with a PC (with windows XP would be useful if you used ntfs format) who are willing to play around with the hardware ??? and have a CD writer of better still a DVD writer

If so you can add the drive as a slave device and then copy the data

11. Shavonne

Shavonne Thread Starter

Probably so. I hope so.

Thanks again

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice