1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer freezes at logo screen after clean installation of XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tritonfx, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tritonfx

tritonfx Thread Starter

I have a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV model ST380021A. Don't know if it's SATA or not. I have a SOYO SY-P4VTP M/B. After I do a clean/new install on a formatted drive, (I even installed the SATA drivers that came w/ the mobo just in case) the computer freezes on reboot after the initial installation where it says "Setup will continue after reboot" or something like that. @ the bootscreen with the logo, the bluish bar scrolls a couple of times and freezes. Does anyone know why? I tried installing at a friends house and it worked fine so I know it's not a harddrive error but I place it in mines and it doesn't work so I create a new install and same problem.. I know it's not a temp issue since it's running < 100 F. THis is a genuine copy of XP. Just in case I used my friends. Same prob. -Thanks.

2. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

Well your motherboard has SATA on it, If you were installing on another machine you should be able to tell if it's SATA (small cable m/b connector) or IDE (large ribbon m/b connector).

If it is SATA, try using the other port on the motherboard.
    It could also be your ribbon cable if you're using IDE.

If you could just let us know what connector it has so we can isolate the problem better.

3. tritonfx

tritonfx Thread Starter

Nvr mind, after hours searching forums, I found out it was because my mobo doesn't work well w/ SP 2. Got a non SP 2 xp and all is well :) Thanks for all help Inferno :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!