1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes at Start up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mjwallac, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjwallac

mjwallac Thread Starter

My computer froze up a couple of days ago. I was on the internet (mapquest.com) and it just locked up. I couldn't get it to respond with the ctrl/alt/delete combo so I cut off the power. When I powered it back up it froze about half way through the start up; it gave me the "starting Windows 98" screen and then the screen went blank with the cursor blinking in upper left hand corner. It hung here for the longest so I cut the power again and restarted. During the start up I got an error message "Secondary slave hard disk fail", I punched a key and it continued and loaded up just fine. Couple of minutes later it froze again. I cut the power and restarted when it came up and got me to the "SAFE MODE" screen so I chose to start it up in the safe mode. It came up fully and I immediately restarted. It came on just fine, loaded up all the programs (Start menu stuff). It appeared to be fine - so I went back to the internet to get the mapquest site up again but it froze again while accessing the site. I powered down again, started back up - got the "Safe Mode" start option; chose it and once "safe mode" was up I again restarted. It came up with all programs responding. I left it alone for a while and it seemed stable. I shut down with the Start menu and left it off for a couple of days (out of town). I restarted it when I returned home and it froze early on in the power up, I didn't get anything but a blank screen so I powered it off and the second time it again got to the about half way through the start up; it gave me the "starting Windows 98" screen and then the screen went blank with the cursor blinking in upper left hand corner. So again I cut the power and restarted. It came up and gave me the option of "SAFE MODE" which I chose and then restart. It worked fine while my wife checked her email (MS Outlook) and then I started a search on the net for help with computer freezing and the darn thing locked up while searching. Again at start up I got an error message "Secondary slave hard disk fail", I punched a key and it continued and loaded up just fine.
    Can you help me with some suggestions, the machine is relatively new (1-1/2 old), it's a AMD Athlon 950mhz, 512 mb Ram. I recently upgraded the ram from 64 to the 512 but the machine has worked fine for several days without any flaws. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. dai

dai

i gather you have a second h/d connected as a slave
    disconnect it and see if it boots up normally

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice