1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

computer freezes continually

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by stateline, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stateline

stateline Thread Starter

I have to restart sometimes every 2-4 minutes, sometimes it will run for a half hour with no problems, then the nightmare starts all over. My son emptied it out and formatted it.
    It's a HP bought at Staples last yr, I took it back to the store and they dodn't seem to know anymore then my kids do. they just said that they would format it again.
    the fan is working,

2. zmaster

zmaster

What operating system are you running? I suggest downloading, installing and updating (spybot and ad-aware. The links are just below). Then run these programs. Do you have any anti-virus software? if so have you been keeping it up to date? If there is no improvement after you've done this post back. There are more things you can try

3. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

THe fan may be working, but make sure that ithe insides are clean and free of dusty bunnies. Make sure that nothing is preventing proper air flow.

4. stateline

stateline Thread Starter

thanks for the help
    I took off the side ,blew out and vacumed all the dust and it still froze about 10 minutes later

5. stateline

stateline Thread Starter

undefined

6. shadowcat

shadowcat

Download and install Motherboard Monitor and post your temperature readings. The most important temperature is the CPU.

By the way, never use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust bunnies from the inside of a computer. I've been told that a vacuum cleaner generates enough energy to possibly damage the motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. These parts are electricity-sensitive and static electricity can damage the computer.

Next time, use canned air (purchased at an office supply store or computer store), hold the can upright and spray. Do not tilt the can or else a white-ish chemical comes out and will damage the computer.

7. zmaster

zmaster

Is the computer restarting by itself? or do you have to restart the computer manually from lack of usability?

8. stateline

stateline Thread Starter

i have to restart it, i don't think i will get this done before it freezes

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!