1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes during bootup. Please help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SKreme, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I turned on my laptop this morning and tried to access the web. My computer froze (as it tends to do because it is not a well made laptop and overheats) and it wouldn't respond. So I held the on/off button for 3 seconds to turn it off. When I tried to reboot it gave me an error message. There was a whole list of things such as what HDD I am using and how much ram I have etc. At the end of the list it said Error and then it said something about my network card or adapter or something like that. I don't remember the error and forgot to write it down. It then asked me if I wanted to continue or enter setup. I hit continue and it froze while on the Windows XP (home) bootup screen (has the windows xp logo with a progress bar below it). I tried to reboot and same thing again. I was able to enter the bios but didn't know what to do there. I was also able to enter in safe mode so I restored to a previous point. That didn't help either so I just shut it off and went out for an hour or two. When I came back it actually booted up. I don't know why. I entered windows and turned on the switch that powers on my wireless card. This resulted in a blue screen which said the following (ellipses indicate that something is omitted either because I did not get a chance to write it down or the message moved too fast).

...Run driver verifier against any new or suspect drivers. If that doesn't reveal the corrupting driver, try enabling special pool. Both of these features are intended to catch the corruption at an earlier point where the offending driver can be identified...
    If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    Technical Information:
    ***Stop: 0x0000005 (0x12800000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8055096D)
    Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact system administrator or technical support for further assistance.

End of error message

I haven't installed anything new today. I think maybe when I turned off the computer while trying to connect to the internet I corrupted a driver or something? I went into the bios but did not see mem. options such as caching or shadowing. I don't know what special pool or driver verifier are. I am actually using the broken computer now but I am afraid to turn it off or disconnect from the internet for fear that this will happen again. Does anyone know what the problem is?

2. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

3. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

Can anyone help me with this?

4. rodeognome

rodeognome

The fact that you left it for a whlie and then came back to boot up with sucess means
    probably related to overheating.

As for the BSOD - if you've never seen it before ....it could be symptomatic of hardware damage incurred by overheating.

For a start - open it up and check for dust.

5. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

What is special pool and driver verifier? Is it possible I corrupted a driver instead or is it most likely that I will have to send it in for repairs. I wish they didn't make my laptop so badly...

6. rodeognome

rodeognome

You don't need to be concerned with that its just a symptom of something else...
    it might have nothing to do with drivers....with a problem such as overheating it can lead to all sorts of spurious error messages.....unless you did download a driver recently ?

7. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

I didn't install any new drivers but I thought maybe since I shut it off in the middle of trying to connect to the net, it corrupted one of my network adapter drivers. So basically, it is either dust or my laptop has permanent damage at this point? (Does opening it up to clean out dust void my warranty?)

8. rodeognome

rodeognome

it could be dust... or it could be that the timing on your fans is wrong...(this is very possible if you own a Dell) ..with overheating permanent damage is always a possibility....
    is your laptop over 12months old ?

Its unlikely that shut-down during a connection to the net caused this so no need to worry
    on that front.

9. SKreme

SKreme Thread Starter

This has been happening to me again periodically. It gave me some message about trying to upgrade my wireless driver or bios. I noticed a weird thing though, it ONLY crashes when I am using wifi. If I am using internet via my non-wireless NIC, no problems. If I am using wifi, after a little bit of time (usually the first time it gives me about half an hour and then after that it gets more and more frequent) it crashes. I tried to get new drivers but I can't find them. Do you still think it is a hardware damage problem???

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice