Computer Freezes on Boot Due to Secondary Slave HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nerd-to-Be

Hey there, first time posting on any kind of forum so I'll do my best to get my problem across.

I am adding a new set of larger drives into rotation on my backup server, the server is running Red Hat 7.3. With:

Asus P2B-DS motherboard
Award Modular Bios v4.51G
Kernel 2.4.18-27.x on an i686
Not sure how to find the chipset specs (still getting broken in with linux)

What's happening is when I put in one of the new drives (WD800, 80G western digital), it starts to boot, checks memory then jumps to the System Configuration menue and freezes right here:

Sec. Slave Disk : LBA, UDMA 2,

I believe what is supposed to come next in that line is the disk size..? Anyway it freezes there.

I believe that the problem is that my MB/chipset won't support the larger drive, although I tested putting in a 180G WD drive and it booted, but when I check it with parted I got read errors and couldn't print off a partition table. So I'm trying to check into if my system will support larger drives or not, if anybody has any ideas of something else it could be that would be great. Or even if you can tell me a quick way of telling me of checking to see if my MB/Chipset/Bios are compatable with a certain disk size. I also tested it with 3 of the exact same WD800's so it's not the drive, because I can read them all in other computers.

Thanks, sorry if I wasn't descriptive enough with specs and so on, if you need more let me know.

Is the motherboard very old ?
As today present day motherboard should not have a problem.
Why dont you find out what is your MB manufacturer and proceed to their website and check if you need to flash in new BIOS for your MB inorder to detect HD with bigger space.

Nerd-to-Be

Yes, the MB is a P2B, Asus is up to P5X now. I couldn't find information regarding what Bios will support up to what size of drive, if you could point me in the right direction....

;)

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts