1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Computer Freezes on boot up

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gemim, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gemim

gemim Thread Starter

Hi I am new to this site, and I have pretty basic knowledge of computers, so any help would be much appreciated!!

I have a Samsung NP-R20X001/SUK Running on windows Vista. The computer has been running slow for the last 9 months and gone unused. I have just installed Norton to see If there were any viruses, and to try resolve the problem. Due to having no updates in a while, the computer ran one update and re-started fine, then did the vista service pack two update. When the computer closed down for the updates a black screen appeared with what looked like files loading. About 30 mins or so into the update the computer froze at one file, I waited half an hour but it just kept flickering. In the end I had to switch the laptop off. Now I can not get to the home screen at all. When switched on there is a message at the top saying to insert windows disk and click repair, or the usual start up menu you get when a pc closes down unexpectedly. Safe mode ect. All modes just freeze half way through loading. If I start up via safe mode, it freezes while loading up on a black screen with files, or If I start normally it freezes on the same file it was updating on when the problem first happened. I have no disk, only my vista key on the underside of my laptop. I tried f4 to do a recovery, but as there are two options I tried the first which wouldn't lose files, which did not work. The second option said I would lose everything and have to re-install the programmes. I am totally lost and have all my pictures on this laptop which I do not want to lose! Please can anybody help me???

Thanks in advance! :eek:

2. gemim

gemim Thread Starter

Please could anybody even just point me in the right direction?:(

3. gemim

gemim Thread Starter

crap

4. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

I would try and remove the Hard drive and put it in an Enclosure and hook it up to another PC via USB and see if you can recover your important data to begin with.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go here to download Ubuntu 10.04 ( There is a newer version, but I am going by my existing setup, so follow along and choose 10.04 ) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download Save the iso file.

Then download ImgBurn from here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Install ImgBurn and run it.

Choose "Write Image to Disc"

At the top of the Imgburn window, where it says "Source" click on the folder with maginfying glass icon; Then navigate to where you saved the ISO file.

Then click on the bottom area of the window depicting hd write to CD.

That should create the CD.

Now you want to boot with the CD on your PC. Check your BIOS so that it chooses to boot using the CD first. You are looking for the Boot menu, boot priority, or something along that line.

Once you boot into Ubuntu, pull down the Places pull down menu. Choose the ## GB Filesystem. That would be your hard drive. You will be able to see all folders in your drive. Now copy off the files you want to a USB memory stick.

6. Samthesham

Samthesham

Hi Gemim - You are not alone with this problem as I had almost identical scenario occur 2 days ago. ASUS laptop not used for several months - MS updating occurred while I was using another program and Kaspersky Internet Security also kicked in to update automatically. End result - some 5 hours later computer still frozen - KIS at 99% updated and MS updates 13 out of 15. All attempts to get computer to respond failed. Shutdown with On/Off button. Computer will not boot into any start mode - Black screen and cursor in "safe mode" all others just a black screen. I was fortunate enough to have cloned the drive before this happened and although over 2 years old swapped hard drives and back up and running. I suspect the MBR or BCD files are screwed up as after putting the removed drive in an enclosure all the file structure is still there together with all the files/documents /pictures/videos etc. When I have a little more time I will attempt to get original drive fixed and re-post.

7. gemim

gemim Thread Starter

Hi guys thanks for all your input. Lunar, I have done the Ubuntu which worked great thanks. I have restored the computer and it is finally starting up after a full recovery, though I am now how a problem trying to update again. I have installed norton again and updated all the files just to be sure. I went to check for windows updates and it came back with 93.. 3 hours later and it was at about 22% just seemed to freeze, this is what caused the problem in the first place so I cancelled the update incase I ended up at square one again and have to recover. Do any of you have any idea what may have caused this problem in the first place and why the updates are causing so many problems with my computer?? maybe what I can do to fix the problem because the updates I need as my computer has been recovered to the day I got it in 2008!! This is hard work for me having not a lot on knowledge of computers! HELP PLEASE :(

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

9. Samthesham

Samthesham

Hi Gemim
    Lunar Lander has some good advice regarding service packs. Not sure where you are up to with your efforts and 2nd reloading of windows. I have had some luck after copying most of the original files from the drive that wouldn't boot after freezing up to another drive. Just refitted original drive back in ASUS laptop and turned on - used F8 during boot to access boot options. Selected "directory restore" option and computer started boot proces. Screen turned black per previous problem but after 4-5 minutes noticed hard drive light beginning to flash. Computer eventually booted up into "Safe Mode" Kaspersky started to update per normal and once updated ,decided to shutdown and see if computer would boot normally. During shutdown windows screen displayed "Configuring updates stage 3 of 3" . Windows then shutdown. Subsequent reboots all normal. I would say there was far more good luck than good management. Have now disabled windows automatic updates!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice